Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best o ring material for marine heat exchanger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBam

Marine/Ocean
Apr 10, 2007
US
I am looking for a recommendation re the best O ring material to use in a marine heat exchanger.

The liquids are sea water and antifreeze (50% ethylene glycol/water). Normal temperature is 180F with 230F maximum.

The problem that currently exists is that the o rings take a set and start to seep. Once that happens the aluminum housing corrodes and damages the copper cooling bundle. At this time I don't know the assembled dimensions as the one housing I have is too corroded to measure. I will have another one later today.

I don't know what the existing material is however the manufacturer specifies a 24 month replacement interval. Given the amount of work involved in changing them out the actual cost of the o ring is probably not a factor.

Thanks!!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b463d20f-6df7-4ce9-922c-afd47b6cf10a&file=heatExchanger.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EPDM would be the material of choice for water and water with anything that dissolves in it. 70 durometer EPDM is fairly standard, set-resistant stuff. The peroxide-cured epdm's are a bit more set resistant, and cost a bit more.

Oh, just one thing - never let standard petroleum products (oil, grease, fuel) get on epdm, it will soften and swell. If you need a lubricant for installation, use silicone grease, or plain old soap and water, or water and glycol.

You may have other problems.
If you allow sea water to get hotter than ~140F, the salt will plate out on all metal surfaces, and eventually clog the pipes.
You may need bigger heat exchangers and higher seawater flows.

Mike Halloran
Stratford, CT, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back