Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Professional HVAC software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atilashorse

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2004
I am looking for a good professional HVAC software to perform load calculations.

So far, I have found the Trane software and Wrightsoft. They both seem very good, but I can't decide which one is best.

I'd appreciate any input from users who perfrom residential and commercial heat load calculations in a regular basis.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ramcode,

So far as I know there are 3 main software packages available: Trane TRACE™ 700, Carrier E20-II HAP, and Elite Software CHVAC. There are a number of arguments for and against each of the packages; I would recommend downloading the demo versions and trying them out. Personally, I prefer Trane TRACE™ 700 for load calculations - an added bonus is its ability to model utility plants (chillers, towers, pumps, etc.) as well as perform economic analysis; but the most important factor for me is the customer support you receive from Trane.

Thank you for your input. I have checked Carrier software, but didn;t find it to be better than Trace 700. I have used Trace 700, and I liked it. Wrightsoft is marketed by the AC Contractors Association. I have never used it but I am told is good.

I think I have made up my mind andwill buy Trace 700.

for straight up load calcs they are all about the same. if you get into energy modeling some have advantages over others. DOE-2 based software seems to be preferable for energy modeling and life cycle studies. i do them in trace all the time though. works well for most systems. trace doesnt model geothermal very well however. thats one area i wish they'd improve.

I have never used Trane, though heard that it's good. My experience is only with Carrier E20-II. It's a good package.

You can also do Energy analysis, life cycle costing, model utility plants, etc. In fact, if you work for Carrier, you can directly upload the chiller performance characteristics into the system. If you don't work for Carrier, you may not have access to the equipment selection programs. You need to get these data from Carrier and input into the program.

As always, the accuracy of the output depends on the accuracy of the inputs - Junk in, Junk out.

HVAC68

We use Elite CHVAC for load calculation. It is fast, simple and easy to use. Being dedicated to load calculation only, it is simplier to use than programs combining load calculation and energy studies. You can export data to an Excel spreadsheet. It does automatic checking & can display all outputs on the screen prior to printing so you can easily review and make changes without generating waste paper. It does psychrometric calculations. Inputs are well organized. It is easier to learn, use and apply.

watch the outputs from those load programs ..... it takes experience to judge the results ....... ALWAYS use a phych chart to size the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back