Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way of impedance measurement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yechi

Electrical
Aug 5, 2006
IL
What is the best way to measure the impedance(S11 with network analyzer), (for example the output matched impedance of a PA) at high frequencies (above 5 GHz) with the minimum errors due to low impedance, parasitic capacitance, and soldered connector influence ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do need a network analyzer! Homebrew boxes do not work at those frequencies. Unless you are very, very good in that part of the spectrum - and then you probably needn't ask...

Seen some network analyzers on eBay lately.

Gunnar Englund

More specific, is there away to minimize measurement errors due to the measurement itself (deembedding) ?

Measuring output impedance with a VNA is not necessarily a good idea anyway. The technique using a VNA back-drives an output. How representative is that going to be?

The thing you are trying to measure is source match or source reflection coefficient. One way is to use a long cable and sweep the input frequency. You then need a power or voltage detector on the output. The cable changes the reflected signal phase continuously as the frequency is swept. This method is good for wideband sources.

If you have a narrow band source then you need a directional coupler, a power meter and a sliding short circuit. This kit is more than 10x cheaper than a VNA and gives a better answer.

Sorry to barge in on this thread. I am also interested in measuring impedance. Is it possible to buy/put together from commercial parts, a network analyzer that measures in the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum?

I have a liquid nano structure that I would like to analyze it's permeability and permittivity in order to perhaps explain it optical/light scattering/sound altering properties. HP only sells them up to the GHz range.

I am a biochemist. I do not have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back