Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to program 4-axis horizontal mill NX6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific123

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2009
US
HI,
I was looking for the best way to program toolpaths for a 4-axis horizontal mill with a B-axis rotary table in NX6. What I am trying to do is fairly basic: mill the first face with planar operations then rotate the table CCLW 90 degrees and proceed to milling the second face with planar operations as well. I was able to insert a ROTATE event after the first set of operations, but when rotating it produced a crashed "workpiece against toolholder" on my machine simulator. So I was hoping I could get some input from those who have done similar programs.
thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The tool axis position should cause B axis rotation. You should not need to put in a ROTATE command manualy.
For the second operation set the tool axis normal to the floor face.

If you post is correct you should get a B axis move

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

John,

I tried what you suggested and it does rotate without having to insert the event manually. So thank you for that. However, I still have a collision between the tool and the IPW. Any ideas how to avoid collisions?
Thank you

When are you having a collision? When you rotate?

Make sure you retract the tool far enough away between operations. You can set the Non-cutting moves for the final departure to move the tool to a clear location. You can also add a Machine Control opertion with a goto move to position the tool.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

I concur with what Joycejo implies by setting a clearance plane, which is under the Avoidance menu options.

Alternatively, you could reconfigure your post-processor, as my last company did on a Matsuura MC900-HG horizontal machine to retract all of the machine axes to machine-home positions (or some other safe position before any rotational B-axis moves - much safer.

John,

yes, the collision occurred when it rotated 90 degrees. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by adding a GOTO move as a machine control operation?

XFV8,

Would you be kind enough to tell me how to do that in Postbuilder?

Thanks

Would you be kind enough to tell me how to do that in Postbuilder?

I wish I could, but I've never been trained on Post Builder.:-(

Essentially, the sequence is as follows:-

1. Retract the tool axis (Z) coded G91 G0 G28 Z0

2. Move X an Y axes to safe position, (in my case G91 G0 G28 X0 Y0)

3. Unclamp the B-axis, (M22)

4. Specify the new B-axis position and new fixture offset
if you're using multiple machine offsets, i.e (G54.1 P2 B0.)

5. Clamp the B-axis (M23)

6. Respecify your tool length offset, (G43 H05 Zn.nn)

...and so on. Maybe someone more experienced in PB will be along soon.

I would steer clear of adding "Machine control" events. There are more elegant ways to stay safe.

I included a .jpeg showing 2 easy ways to stay safe.

1. Set your automatic retract to a safe distance in the WCS dialog. Just make sure that all your operations use that particular WCS and they will all inherit the clearance.

2. Add a "go home" block to the end of operation event in postbuilber. The tool will go home after every single operation(with or without an axis change). Very safe. a good opportunity for machinists to check inserts/tool wear aswell.

Now, these are only 2 suggestions. There are many, many, many more ways to get what you want.

Disclaimer: If you edit your post, be very, very carful. Double check your code! then check it once more... ;)

J

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6998f645-7cb4-4a95-8730-212f5c10f80e&file=GoHome.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back