Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BFA shop drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie

Structural
Sep 11, 2003
US
I recently sent back review comments for a steel shop drawing using a comment sheet I attached to the drawings and I got a response from the fabricator saying that they need the drawings BFA marked up per AISC? What is BFA and are there some Code of Standard Practice requirements that I'm missing? I was under the impression the EOR had fairly free range in this regard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought so too. If your requirements are clearly shown on your comment sheet, I cannot see why that should not be sufficient.

My best guess for BFA would be Before Fabrication Approval but why don't you check with the fabricator to see what he did mean and what AISC provision he is referring to?

We seem to live in a world full of acronyms and I frequently find myself not knowing what they stand for. They should be defined the first time they are used.

BA

"BFA" in this context stands for "Back From Approval."

I don't know of any specific requirements in the Code of Standard Practice telling the Engineer of Record how he has to put comments on shop drawings. Demands like these from parties lower on the food chain tend to cause those higher on the food chain to lose patience and be less cooperative in the future.

Code of Standard Practice 2010 Section 4.4 does not have any requirement for comments to be given on the actual drawings. Obviously it is beneficial to provide comments in a clear manner, there is not a specific instruction for where the comments should be shown. I have provided sketches and comments in letter form, especially when the comments apply in several locations. I have also noted repeated comments on one drawing with "Make Correction Typical All Locations". The priority is to be clear and avoid repeated submittals.

BUT, If you are dealing with an overseas detailer there may be a language barrier between your listed comments and the detailers understanding. Marking up each drawings may help this situation. BUT, the choice of detailer and their qualifications is the fabricator's problem.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

Has the general contractor reviewed the shop drawings, too? I stipulate this in my drawing notes and in the specifications.

Dik

dik - Yes but unfortunately the GC is acting as more of a push through as opposed to actually reviewing.

UPDATE - I asked the GC (who didn't know what BFA was either but it looks like from nutte that "Back From Approval" sounds right) and he explained that the fabricator just wanted to make sure that in addition to the comment sheet that there werent't more comments on the drawings.

I told him there weren't and that seemed to appease everyone except that they are attachning my original email correspondence to the drawings where I state that all of the comments are on the comment sheet. I suppose in the future I could put the "no additional comments on drawing" statement right on the comment sheet to begin with.

Thanks for your responses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back