BigH's Current Proj - Rogun Dam, Tajikistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
PLEASE KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF - ONLY SHARING WITH THIS GROUP

The Rogun Dam will be at el. 1300 m when finished. Presently it is "known" as 335 m high but the actual foundation base was el 962 instead of the "design" el. 965 - so it could be called 338 m high. The Core will be where the RCC Pad is located in the photo below. The upstream is now at el. 1140, the reservoir is at el 1070 m, about 100 m higher than original river level - have a cofferdam and then impermeable upstream temporary membranes - the reservoir permits two of the turbines to be utilized - four more to go. The downstream is at el. 1190 which is the base of the conveyor tower - the contractor will be bringing 0-400 mm alluvium from the upstream to the downstream conveyor base through access tunnels. There is something like 100 km of tunnels and adits on this project to date many of which will require hydraulic concrete plugging. The next milestone is to be at el. 1110 m - requires about 3.5 Mm3 of core material - consider it to be 0-200 moraine till-like material and 16 Mm3 of the 0-400 alluvium. The pipe dream is to finish this by August 31, 2024 - requires 3 layers per day with no loss time for winter, rain etc. Contractor says YES but everyone knows it is NO. You can find much of the information of this on the net - ROGUN DAM TAJIKISTAN.

This project is MASSIVE!!

[cheers]

Rogun_Dam_Fdn_231006a_vhjecx.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Incredibly interesting Big H. So could you explain your role a bit more? Are you on client/owners side, doing QAQC ? or are you doing any design/checking?

Give an example day to day!

Getting back - - the project is divided into 4 packages - one is the dam, one is the powerhouse, one is the spillway/plunge pool and diversion tunnels and one is the actual turbines, et al. There will be 6 units at 600 MW each.

The Dam is an EPC contract and is carried out by a European contractor with local sub-contractors. The Contractor is tasked with Quality Control - unlike what FERC requires. I've worked 3 hydro projects in Asia and all three had the Contractor carrying out the Quality Control . . . not ideal.

I am working as the Dam Resident Engineer as part of the Employer's Representative. We have the "gun" but little in the way of ordnance. We basically watch out for the Employer's interests and try to keep the Contractor on the up and up. I would prefer QC to be by an independent third party. When I was working in a SE Asia country, the contractor's QC asked me to write the NCRs. Why? If they wrote too many, they were afraid of being fired.

Anyway - that's that in a nutshell.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back