Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Birth and Death with loadsteps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comlex

Apr 22, 2005
GB
Hi,
I have two cantilever beams (3d) meshed with SOLID 45 elements arranged one over the other. Contact elements (CONTA173 and TARGE 170)are generated between them. In first loadstep I want to bend them and in second load step, I want to apply a surface load (pressure). Contact elements between two beams should be killed in first load step and should be activated in second load step.I used EKILL and EALIVE separately with lswrite commands. It solves only first load step and stops. I have used KINH material model. Can you guide me, how to solve it ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First thing - isfiles don’t support any contact elements.

Then step-wise what you can do is -
1. in 1st load step kill the contact elems.
2. apply bending load.
3. when u solve with iswrite command before solve command, it will write initial stress file.
4. in 2nd LS make contact elems alive however before you read isfile you unselect the contact elems.
5. now select everything ALLSEL. and solve.

note - iswrite creates initial stress values in reverse fashion for example, if you apply tension it creates initial stress values for compression, thus be careful

-Hemant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back