Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bitumen Lining or Epoxy coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrosionman

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2003
GB
My Client has 1.6 mtr dia pipes bringing Estuary water to his Power Station and Steelworks. He requests Bitumen lining for some new steel pipes - - - Such Linings have a good record in his Industry and were standard spec once upon a time. Although the material costs much less than epoxy, even at 6 mm thick, the labour to apply it is considerably higher. Please can anyone comment on life expectancy of Hot Applied Bitumen ? (afer application of a suitable primer to shot blasted steel the bitumen is heated then applied with a trowell at 6 mm thick.) All comments much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

corrosionman:

selection of coatings is dependent upon the hydraulics of your system. I have seen both coatings fail in the past. Epoxy, if shop applied, is definately the better of the two systems in my opinion when they hydraulics are strange. With that said, I have seen it suffer horribly in localized spots under odd hydraulic conditions.

Quality control is a lot better with the epoxy as you can get certificates of compliance. Field inspection is tough with Bitumastic as you may know.

let us know how you make out....

BobPE

BobPE
Thanks for your interest. After more discussions the Client is 100% in agreement for Epoxy coatings However he says it would be very difficult and time consuming to change the Specification.
At the moment therefore it looks like old fashioned Bitumen ! However the material costs are interesting. Epoxy is expensive but needs only 1 mm thickness. Bitumen is cheap but will go o as approx 10 mm. There is a lot of guesswork in Quoting but we think that the epoxy would have 15 % saving on the final project cost. Suddenly he is interested!
I will let you have the final outcome soon. Regards DW

I haven't checked on the regulations lately but there is a
a very good compromise between the two. You might want to take a look at:

Coal Tar Epoxy Coating

Check with several suppliers about your specific application as all CTE’s are created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back