Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Blockpad 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

phamENG

Structural
Feb 6, 2015
US
In my quest to find a replacement for Smath, I came across this. Not free but looks promising and not that expensive. Anyone messed with it?

Blockpad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ALK you mean send my course notes? It's all on paper in the particularly scanner unfriendly top spiral non-letter size format as well.

TLHS - I wouldn't say I do a lot of template calculations, I'm not generally doing full designs, but I have one spreadsheet where the majority of my calculations reside, and pieces and parts can be re-used, along with some lookup tables for steel sections, rebar areas, etc. I may not save time for one-off calculations, but it does feel like it saves time. Or if it doesn't it feels better anyway. I mean I can't exactly clone myself into a parallel dimensions and run time studies.

WinelandV said:
Lo, what are the features that SMath has that MathCAD doesn't?

For me, the big ones are related to input controls. Radio buttons, drop down menus, etc. When I'm trying to build a standardized template calc for my team to use, I want to be able to guide them and let them know when they're outside the guiderails. (And let's be honest, nobody reads text warnings).

You can kind of hack some form of that together with MathCAD comboboxes, but it's incredibly clunky and limited.

SE2607 - yes, the 'vlookupinterpolate' function is pretty neat. Though there documentation for spreadsheet functions is pretty bad. They'll tell you what inputs you need, but not what they should be. I guess they expect you to just look at Excel's help docs to figure it out?

Thread Resurrection!!!

I've spent a couple of weeks evaluating Maple Flow. They've tried to take Maple and adopt the parts of Mathcad that are popular. I like the concept and permanent license. It is a bit rough at this point, though. Apparently, it's a relatively new product.

Overall the experience reminds me of going from MC to Smath. I used MC a lot for about 10 years, up to v13. When I got to Smath, it just felt clunky and was awkward enough to bug me. Maple Flow feels like that. Several very common actions like making a letter Greek or adding units take more steps. It also fatally and inexplicably locked up a couple of my worksheets, which are gone forever. The Help is relatively sparse.

There's a lot of good features. Basically a lot of what MC does well. Just clunky at this point. I'm planning to check back next year and see if they've worked out the bugs.

You could interpolate as a custom function in excel if you really wanted to hide the guts, or just set up the formula once and copy it where needed.

I like Calcpad, but I know python and HTML so it was super easy for me to pick up. I had a question about the integration function and I emailed the developer, they got back to me within a day or two. One of the negatives with calcpad is the plotting/graphing capability - It sucks.

Can you spoof it with a VPN, like NordVPN so it thinks the eMail is Canadian?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

As soon as SMath started online accounts, I got wary and started keeping previous versions of the .exe files. It's how I'm protecting my investment of time and effort into re-useable templates. Am I mistaken in my understanding that SMath's core features are still free and only various whiz-bangs cost money?

On the licensing front, I have this link saved with the old .exe files: it gives me license to use the the software without restriction. I suppose that so long as I prove that I used it prior to September 2023, I am good to go? That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Craig_H, would you be willing to share? I unfortunately routinely delete my downloads folder.

Edit - nevermind, I found a way. Sorry for unnecessary thread revival.

mathcad 15 is still a very capable software, I'm sure you can find it if you look for it. Mathcad prime is an IP based moneygrab.

The rage last year in programming was "programming notebooks", one example is It combines code, results and graphs into one notebook, that you could probably export to pdf. There is quite a ecosystem revolving around it. It's open nature seems makes it promising.

A decade ago I was using someones custom python -> sympy -> latex solution where you use plain text python to write your report and formulas, and some script translated the formulas to evaluated latex (pretty looking formulas) and then to pdf. Looked pretty neat, but still felt a bit hacky.

I still have a giant itch to build something like this myself. I have dozens of prototypes in python and excel. We're all solving the same problems over and over again. Why isn't there an indexed list of all our work. A couple years ago I stumbelled upon a mathcad book implementation of Roarks Stress Concentration book. All the roark formulas neatly ordered, catalogued and working mathcad sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back