Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Boiler and Hot Water test and commissioning spec 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

John110

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2018
US
I am designing to replace 2 hot water boiler each 2000 mbh and 3 water heater each 500 mbh. I am looking to find a specification to tell the contractor to follow to test and balance the system and also I am looking for the commissioning requirement and specification.
The owner wants the x manufacturer and This job is for a city facility and I wonder if I say in my specification the approved manufacturer is just X manufacturer and or any manufacturer approved by owner, is it okay or I need to list minimum 3 accepted manufacturer. I appreciate your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is usually the practice to list one with others listed as equal alternatives. If you design the system around the characteristics (space and piping) of the listed one, it makes it more difficult for the Contractor to substitute someone else. Contractors will also generally try to provide the first one as they expect that is what the owner wants, unless the listed one is offering an unreasonable price.

If you say "any manufacturer approved by owner", you will end up with salesman bothering the owner which will make your life more difficult.

John110,

You need to start with ASME BPVC Codes. Read the code definitions, determine which code section it will fall under and that section essentially will become the design spec. It won't be an easy ride for you as it seems you are new to pressure vessel.
There are different stamping designations certified by ASME to manufacturers manufacturing different type of pressure vessels. You should only get manufactured the boiler by those approved manufacturers.
Obviously, it all depends on which part of the world, the boilers will be installed and check with your local jurisdiction for the applicable Code.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Any time you have a project for a public entitity, you need to be careful of how you write specifications and what equipment you base your design around. Write the specs too tight or design such that only a single manufacturer can resonably bid on the project opens yourself and the city/utility for litigation from a manufacturer/contractor that might have wanted that job opportunity.

There are times when it is necessary, just be ready to defend your decisions.

As for "approved by owner", I've never used that verbiage. Instead, I will list 3-4 well known manufacturers and "or approved equal". Making sure I have listed/specified key/critical performance criteria that can be used to justify approving/denying equipment/contractors during the submittal process.

As for commissioning requirements and specifications, Google is your best friend. Look for AABC, NEBB, PECI.org, Regardless of where you get your guidespec from you will need to edit to suit your project.

Boilers and water heaters don't require any T&B, they work or don't. The commissioning will verify their operation and set controls as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back