Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler Level 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellinas

Industrial
Dec 25, 2008
GR
In one of our boilers we have got level with displacer. The s.g of the liquid (boiled water) is more or less 0.85. We calibrated with water and then from the parameters we changed it at the correct s.g (Masoneilan). The level was at 15% (glass) and it appeared at the instument 0% . Any opinions?
Thank you in advance.

REMEMBER IT IS NOT GREECE IT IS HELLAS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

S.G. of boiled water [≅] 0.85? Are you sure?

By 'boiled water' do you mean water which is actually boiling, i.e. contains vapour bubbles?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Sorry it is not actually boiled water. It contains some chemicals. I just wrote it like this to be more understood. Apparently, i was more confusing.

REMEMBER IT IS NOT GREECE IT IS HELLAS

The S.G. in the steam drum may e 0.85 with bubbles but if your displacers in a bridle, like your sight glass the S.G. will be close to 1. The level in the drum will be higher than indicated in the sight glass also.
Roy

The water in a boiler may be 0.85. That happens at around 250 psig ( 17.2 Bar)

The column in the displacer chamber is sometimes a little cooler, but it IS warmed by continuous condensation of saturated steam in the top of the chamber. So it is not MUCH cooler, and the chamber is probably insulated.

The Masoneilan level transmitter works by displacement. The displacer weighs more when the chamber is empty than when the displacer is fully submerged.

SO if you calibrate it cold, the zero will be off lower than the level that corresponds to a zero signal in service. Then for every inch of travel of the liquid, you'll only get 85% of the buoyancy in service that cold water will give. So the unit's zero AND span will shift if you calibrate it cold and use it in a high-pressure (reduced SG) service. 11.9 inches of cold water corresponds to 14" of boiler water.

I have some experience with the Masoneilan units. The electronic unit has a SG scale in the instrument head used for calibration.
The pneumatic controllers have a scale inside the mechanism to allow for you to correct for SG changes.
Perhaps your intrument techs got confused and applied the correction backwards when they calibrated it?

In response to your second question: You will see the same effect with a DP instrument, and if one of the sensing legs sometimes gets cooler than the other you will have an intermittent calibration shift that will be hard to explain.

The water in a boiler may be 0.85. That happens at around 250 psig ( 17.2 Bar)

Thanks Jim, learned something there.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back