Status
Not open for further replies.

GD_P

Structural
Apr 6, 2018
IN
Hello forum,

Probably very basic question,
ASME Sec VIII Div 1 doesn’t specify mandatory standard for dimensions of bolting i.e., bolts & nuts.
So can we use bolt dimensions as per ANSI B18.2.3.1M & nut dimensions as per ANSI B18.2.4.1M, if they comply with SA 193 & SA 194 specification?
FYI,
Both ANSI B18.2.3.1M & ANSI B18.2.4.1M are withdrawn.
Your opinion please.

GD_P

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

david, My understanding to U-3, standards listed in U-3 are mandatory if stated elsewhere in this Division. Also this table indicates the year of acceptance as for Div 1 appln.
r6155, Sec II part A specification SA193 states that ‘Unless otherwise specified in the purchase order, bolt heads shall be in accordance with the dimensions of ASME B18.2.1 or ASME B18.2.3.3M’ and SA194 states that Nuts shall be hexagonal in shape, and in accordance with the dimensions for the hex or heavy hex series, as required, by ASME B 18.2.2 and ASME B 18.2.4.6M. But IMO, Sec II can not be deciding code for dimensions standard.

I understand that the best solution is to follow ASME B18.2.3.3M & ASME B18.2.4.6M, but is it really mandatory?

Regards,

GD_P

For ASME VIII –Div 1 use stud as per ASME B18.31.2, Continuous Thread. –See ASME B16.5
i.e, never use bolt with Figure UW-16-1 sketch (p-1) and (p-2)
The studs are interchangeable parts and therefore the threads must be standardized in order to install a new one that matches the old one.

Regards

I am concerned about the bolting to be used in flanges designed as per Mand appdx 2, I forgot to mention this in the 1st post. ASME B16.5 is clear about which bolting standard & type (inches only) to be used.
Also, thread type for ASME B18.2.3.3M & B18.2.3.1M are same i.e., metric, so interchangeability should not be an issue. So can i use any of the ASME B18.2.3.3M OR B18.2.3.1M std for bolting?

GD_P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back