Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book of Analysis Solutions for Indeterminate Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacst3

Structural
May 3, 2010
US
Does anyone know of a book or design guide that offers quick solutions; i.e. base reactions, axial loads and moments due to typical applied external loads (gravity and lateral).

I'm trying to avoid lengthy hand analysis and computer methods to quickly calculate reactions/stresses in members of typical frame assemblies.

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Formulas for Stress, Strain, and Structural Matrices by Walter D. Pilkey.

It's similar to Roarks. Much of the data is in matrix format (not my favorite), but the rigid frame section has formulas similar to roarks.

How exact do you want the results?

Personally, I found that Kleinlogel took almost as much time as a normal analysis and I didn't "feel" the structure as I did when I did a custom calculation.

If there were useful and safe shortcuts, we would all be using them.

If you are looking for approximations for estimates, the Steel Designer's Manual (Crosby Lockwell) has or had some quicker methods.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

There are "no" hidden secrets here. This stuff can be a PITA... Just have to slug your way through it. We have all done it or learned to use software that can do it quite quickly!!

Sorry

GregL:
You know the answer to that..., read the fine print in textbooks, codes, and software. They take no responsibility for your design, whatever formulas they suggest you use. They did pretty good, but you assume the responsibility. But, another sad commentary on the state of affairs these days is, mostly what we have as engineers is ‘plugers n chugers,’ way too many of them have no intuitive understanding of how the structure or machine they are designing really works. The formulas should take care of that too.

On something like a frame, get someone else to do an independent check as part of the review. As long as they aren't using exactly the same source as you it should identify significant errors. On your major force resisting systems that have less redundancy it's always a good idea to have someone look at it from nothing, if at all possible. You're not always going to get into all the details like that, but the really dangerous issues are normally far enough out that a fairly straightforward independent check will catch it.

As far as independent checks, I've normally found that sketching the moment and shear diagrams is my best sanity check, especially for fairly straightforward structures. If you can't make them work there's something wrong. They also make sure you're actually understand what the structure is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back