Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book on stress analysis of plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech2926

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2011
US
Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for a good book on stress analysis of plastics. Analysis of plastics is a new field to me so I'm interested in analysis methods and failure criteria. Basically, how to go about analyzing a plastic part for structural adequacy. Calculating stress is not an issue--I have experience with analyzing steel with hand calculations and FEA--but most plastic seems to behave more complex than steel.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

plastics are an entirely different ballgame to steel in this regard, so be very cautious.

I can't personally recommend a book but I expect others will be able to.

I always used the better raw materials manufacturers literature from the likes of Ticona, Bayer, BASF, Sabic and DuPont.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

In term of the response to stress, polymers are COMPLETELY different from metals. Metals are elastic materials whereas polymers are viscoelastic which means the model that you use should completely be different in prediction of properties. To begin, I personally recommend "Mechanical properties of polymers and composites" by L. E. Nielsen and R. L. Landel. It's a new edition of "Mechanical properties of polymers" by L. E. Nielsen which was published in 1962. You can find the main concepts of mechanical properties of polymers and important parameters affecting them in that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back