Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book recommendation for non-metallurgist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FArias

Automotive
Jul 4, 2005
DE
Hello

I am a mechanical engineer and would like to learn some more about the materials I work with, high-temperature steels and some aluminium and titan alloys with different heat treatments. Everything from phase diagrams to the modification of properties through the heat treat. would be welcome.

Could you recommend any books written for non-material-science-experts?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Engineer to Win" by the late Carroll Smith has a pretty good section on metallurgy basics and applications. Avilable from Motorbooks.com.

I disagree with swall's recommendation. Mr. Smith has a poor grasp of many engineering fundamentals, including materials science. His descriptions are likely to confuse non-experts, rather than educate them.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

It all depends on how deep into materials engineering you want to go. Carroll Smith provides sort of a general guide for the neophyte. For what his book provides, I think it is pretty good, once you get past Carroll being full of himself. If you know nothing about materials science, it is a starting point.

Meant to reply earlier but just remembered to look at my bookshelf at home. My college metallurgy book was Clark & Varney. It is a very readable text, well organized by basic materials (ferrous, non-ferrous, corosion resistant, high temp), types of alloys, and heat treatments, and does not require a high level of chemistry and math knowledge. The books in those days did not use the cutesy-pie graphics and side bars that modern textbooks use, so you could read through a chapter and not lose your place every other paragraph.

The first class in metalllurgy was taught by a chemistry prof and the textbook concentrated on the atomic level of the materials. The class average was about 30 on tests. I dropped it and changed to the night course where they used Clark & Varney and the prof came from the steel industry, so we concentrated on the engineering aspects of materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back