Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Book to learn Vortex Methods from. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vktsn0303

Sep 10, 2013
NL
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a good book to learn vortex methods from? I have tried learning about the methods from the book Vortex Methods-Theory and Practice written by Petros Koumoutsakos & Georges-Henri Cottet, but I'm unable to understand the fundamentals when reading that book. I'm looking for a book like John D Anderson's Fundamentals of Aerodynamics. I want the book to be written in a way that a layperson would understand, like the book 'Div, Grad, Curl and all that' by H M Schey.

Thanks for your answers everyone!

vktsn0303

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try : Aerodynamics for Engineering Students,by Houghton,Carpenter,Collicott,and Valentine.Elsevier,Sixth Ed.. Starting around page 270,it's one of the clearest explanations I have found.It starts off with the basics and takes you into intermediate level,it keeps stuff simple,and lots of FBD's,which I like.
The other,I like is called "Wing Theory", by Robert T. Jones,Princeton,1990.But hold on tight,this was written by a country boy ,without a PhD,all self taught mind you,you need to be on the same level as he,which it don't happen often,but it's all there,you just need the drive to wade through it,good luck.
Drs, Anderson and Dr.Schey are the exceptions to the rules in explaining things not us mortals to grasp,wish there were more of them around,but they're far and few between,hope this helps.

Don't know if my earlier reading suggestions were any help to you.When reviewing something else,ran across an even better,short summary of Vortex Methods.It's short,to the point and practical.It's dated,"Aircraft Structures", by David J. Perry,the original edition.See pages; 213 thru 249,spanwise air load distribution.Good brief explanation,enough theory,but not so much to bogg you down,it's a classic.

Wait, back up a minute - there's a book about Div/Grad/Curl that a layperson would understand?
Where was that book when I was in school???
When I took those classes, I had no idea what they were for. No explanation forthcoming from the assigned textbook or the prof, either.

STF

Yeah,well may be not a true layperson."Div,Grad,Curl and all that",by H.M.Schey,published in '73.I didn't find the book til much latter,after Calculus 3.We were forced to wade thru vector cal at Thomas,this was the chosen text at the time,cause the guy's at MIT used it,but that didn't mean that any of the rest of us understood it,may be not even those at MIT,hehe.We all just memorized enough to pass the tests,with no real time or intent to understand it.But now,I find vector calculus fascinating,and can actually see it's usefulness.It would have been no fun for the profs. to give all the secrets away then,if they knew them.

couldn't we all go on with stories like that ! and it seems to be worse today (an inch deep and a mile wide). it seems to me that there's so much stuff taught today that students lose sight of the basics.

but let's not hi-jack the thread ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

MOHR1951, yes, your suggestions helped me in learning about the method in question. But I was also able to find a book titled Vortex Methods and Vortex Motion by Karl E. Gustafson and James A. Sethian. The first two chapters in this book are gems. They really helped me understand the fundamental idea behind Vortex Methods.

vktsn0303

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back