Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books for underpinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpyeron

Electrical
Jan 17, 2010
US

Original thread here
PEinc said:

Read the underpinning chapters in books by Winterkorn & Fang, Robert Ratay, and Alan McNabb.

I have found the following:

Earth Retention Systems Handbook ~ Alan Macnab
Foundation Engineering Handbook ~ Hans F. Winterkorn & Hsai-Yang Fang
Handbook of Temporary Structures in Construction ~ Robert Ratay
Structural Condition Assessment by Robert T. Ratay

Are these the recommended books for underpinning?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Earth Retention Systems Handbook, Alan Macnab, McGraw-Hill Handbooks

Go to the web site for ADSC: The International Association of Foundation Drilling. They sell the book. ADSC's Item Code is TL173. I think there is a link to their web site on my web site.

I really like Winterkorn and Fang. It's got great old pictures. The chapter on underpinning seems to have been written by someone who was "hands on."
I don't know what other books there are. But I'll bet there's no books that can match sitting down with an installer of these systems.

The underpinning chapter was written by Edward E. White from Spencer, White and Prentis, one of the original and probably most famous underpinning companies (went out of business a couple of years ago).

Most of the underpinning books rehash the 1931 and 1950 underpinning books from Edmund Astley Prentis and Lazarus White titled Underpinning. The book is very hard to find. I paid several hundred dollars recently for a 1950 edition.

Just a suggestion... It's best to use the infomation in the books for the underpinning, not the books themselves. The information is timeless, but not so the books.

Hope this helps. [bigsmile]

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Just want to make sure, I can only find used copies, and they start at $400

Foundation Engineering Handbook
Hardcover: 923 pages
Publisher: Van Nostrand Reinhold; 2nd edition (December 1990)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0442224877

I also found: Modern Underpinning - Development, Methods And Typical Examples by Lazarus White 2008

I am goin to read that one too.

Wow John. I had access to a copy of White's book (the old one) - but when the company "shifted" into two entities, it got lost in the shuffle but not to my group! Damn!! Have a copy of Winterkorn and Fang sitting in storage in TO but have a copy at hand of Fang's 2nd edition (Winterkorn has passed on by that time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back