Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boolean Colors Changing when moving parent objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexfly

Automotive
Dec 27, 2009
US
Hi. I have been struggling with this long enough!

My problem is this. I have a "Fastener Library" with the different faces of the fasteners color coded to whichever customer standards. (different libraries for different customers) Screws, dowels and jackscrews. The screws work fine but for whatever reason, on the dowels and jacks, after I do my initial subtract, if I move a dowel or jack, the face colors of the parent component (the component holding the fasteners) reverts back to the "core" color of the fastener's toolbody.

For example. My dowels are created with a couple of red cylinders united. I then color the different faces of the toolbody. Clearance, blue....diameter, red....and through hole green. These are new files created in NX7.5.5.4. Color palates of fasteners match assembly palate. Modeling preferences set to "boolean face properties from toolbody". Extracted geometry from parent object....da da da. I have played with those settings in different combinations.

I wave in the toolbody, do my subtract and everything is fine. As soon as I move a dowel or jack, the subtracted hole goes back to the "red" color and ignores the colored faces of the toolbody. The screws in my library were created the same way and I have no problem with them. My customers are not having this issue as far as I know. (I supply them with their individual fastener libraries) So it has to be a setting somewhere. This is costing me a lot of time going back and constantly "manually" changing face colors.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Adam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes superhiz. They fixed it! It is fixed with 7.5.5.4 MP9 which just came out. It "should" be good on all newer releases.

Hope this helps!

We are using NX8 and there are still issues with face colors changing.
It all depends on what your Modeling Preferences under "New Face Properties from" and "Boolean Face Properties from" are set to. For us we would need to change these options depending on what the operation creates. The issue is that this setting is not stored in the feature so if you update your part then some colors can get changed back. I had a long discussion with GTAC about this and it is working as designed.
Being a previous I-Deas user I was used to having a face stay the color I made it until I changed the color. It would not change by itself. Maybe some day it will be fixed.
NX8 Win7 TCUA8.3

I am all to aware of those settings. The problems I was having are fixed in MP09. It is in the release notes as well. I can't vouch for any other version, but for me with this update, it fixed the problem. So far.

To me this should never have been an issue. I've wasted countless hours changing face colors that went dead on me. Default should be to always have the colors represent the toolbody (after booleans in the parent body)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back