Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bottom bearing wood floor truss, 2nd floor wall tie down

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng003

Structural
Jan 4, 2012
US
I have a two story structure first floor cmu 2nd story wood stud frame located in high wind area. Need to tie down 2nd floor studs to bond beam below 2nd floor wood trusses. Trusses bear on 2x plate with anchor bolts into masonry bond beam. Would like to use Simpson coil straps or simliar attached to underside of plate then field bent up bypassing trusses to studs above but it doesn't appear Simpson addresses this application, and specifically notes not to bend anything not specifically designed for it. Any thoughts or different tie down approaches?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a wonky detail that is much more trouble than it is worth. Why not provide hold downs into the bond beam, or just connect some straps to the face of the wall?

It is split face so I can not strap to the face. I need typical uplift connection so there will be a lot of them I think holddowns would get expensive. Uplift is approximately 300 plf w/ studs & trusses @ 16" o.c.

Build a heavier roof. :p

I wouldn't bend the coil straps as you plan to, probably wouldn't have the stiffness for the uplift you require. I'm still not clear why you can't do a strap into the masonry wall as jayrod suggested? Sketch might help make this easier.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

Do the trusses and studs align? How about something like an H6 from stud to truss, then an H3 (or two) from truss to plate. Then you'd have to design your 2x plate to span between anchors though. And then have an argument with peers about whether or not that puts the plate in cross grain bending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back