Bottom sketch plate width per API-650 Paragraph 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeG7

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2012
ZA
Hi All,

Paragraph 5.4 from API-650 says that the minimum width of sketch plates should not be less than 1800 mm unless purchaser agrees.

For my particular application, I am using 2m wide plates, 6m long. The tank is 7m inside diameter. For the center plate on the bottom I use the full 6m long plate (2 m wide) to avoid cutting. That leaves the adjacent plates 2 m x 0.55m on each side as per attached picture.

The plate at 0.55m x 2 m wide - is this in violation to API-650 which requires plates to be 1800 mm minimum "width"?

Bottom_Plate_Sketch_hrm9lh.jpg

I tried searching for "sketch" & "plates" and as you can imagine a lot (literally a couple of hundred) results came up, hence my advance apology if there is an applicable post dealing with such.

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In your sketch, the plate you are concerned with is still 2 m wide, and thus in conformance with API 650.

As this plate narrows towards it's ends, the resulting 3 way lap must be at least 300 mm (radially) from the shell per clause 5.1.5.4.2, which may limit this layout.

Thank you both for your insight.
Would anyone be kind enough to provide an actual photograph of a 3-lap joint (the image from the Code is rather baffling my brain!)

Hi MikeG7 (Mechanical)(OP),

The sketch that you have posted which is showing the sketch plates does not violate the API 650 provided that the thk. at least 6 mm.

How ever , IMO, needs improvement to reduce the amount of welding and waste plate.

You may research with ( storage tank bottom plates ).. Literally possible outcomes will be,
IMG_6303_e2kfvu.jpg

IMG_6304_difcbq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back