Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brain to Skull Interaction Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddesai22

Bioengineer
Feb 8, 2012
US
Hi all,

I am trying to model the Brain and the Skull in ABAQUS. I am a fairly new user. I was wondering if there is an interaction property I could use to model the sliding behavior between the two surfaces? I would like to Brain to be able to move freely when there is an impact on the skull. I have thought about using fluid elements to model the dura mater and pia mater but the inside of the skull is not a smooth simple geometry. I was wondering if there is any other way to model this behavior? I have read a little about the "elastic foundation interaction property" and I wanted to know if this would work?

Thank you all very much for your help!

-D. Desai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To model the sliding between surfaces contact should do.

I am not knowledgeable about the various materials involved. I would post a similar question in these other forums.
Biomechanics: Biomaterials: Make sure that the questions are geared for the specific groups.
For example in biomechanics "has anyone modeled in FEA the interaction between the brain and skull during impact"

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Rob,

I have thought about modeling sliding between surface contact but there is a sizable gap between the two surfaces. I thought the frictionless interaction property only works when there is minimal to no gap between the two surfaces of the parts.

Thank you for your help

Contact does not need to be limited to "close" bodies. There are several tricks that can be employed to help with this. In standard stabilization, contact stabilization or weak springs may be required. If you are using explicit then none are needed since inertia stabilizes the system.

I typically create all geometry in CAD and import it into Abaqus. In SolidWorks you can create this volume using a 'cavity' feature. I am sure that other CAD packages have similar functionality.

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

I'm doing the same project. Based on the new papers, CSF is modeled between the brain and skull and none of them is modeled without consideration of CSF.
Thus, I think that it is would be better to create CSF and use cavity filled method in Abaqus, It is really new for traumatic brain injury. However, to simply, you can model the CSF a solid with a very very low shear modulus.

Let me know if you have any other question, I'm doing the same project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back