Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bread and butter civil engineering tasks for work on the side. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

proletariat

Civil/Environmental
Apr 15, 2005
US
It is sometimes embarassing to not know how to do some of the bread n' butter civil jobs that the average member of the population thinks we should do. I'm doing a little exploration into some of these things, which I hope will pan out into some side-jobs. I'm looking for items that your average contractor will deal with regularly, so there will be sure to be demand for these services.

Structural timber (houseplan) review and sealing seems to be a very self-contained activity which would be ideal for side work. I've been reviewing the structural wood class I had in college. I also plan to order some of the books from the American Wood Council, which I understand is the primary design manual for the residential timber industry.

On-lot septic seems to be another of these, but the design materials are a little more difficult to locate. It seems that this is learned more by rote and OJT than in a design manual. There are some regulations in the state code, and a state DEP seweage enforcement officer manual, but I haven't had a look at it yet.

Any other ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you really want to work on the side, I suggest contacting your local university and see if they have any adjunct faculty positions. I did this for awhile and it worked out as great PR for my company and they were very willing to let me have time off as long as I made it up. Plus, nothing makes you learn something better than having to teach it.

Frankly, as a business owner, I'm not worried in the least about competing against engineers working on the side. They simply can't produce the same quality product I can in the same time, and they can't give the same level of service during the day.

Generally, people who use engineers that work on the side are the same people that will call me up on a $5000 proposal and tell me that XYZ company will do it for $50 less. I fire those clients all the time - for obvious reasons.

I'd like to give the original poster a cautionary note. If you are engineer working in an area in which you are inexperienced (I got this impression as you said you were going to review this or that manual) and you make a mistake, either in the engineering or in the submittal process, you will probably be caught with your pants down, with unknown consequences to you either professionally or personally.

As an example, if Joe Blow calls me up and lets me know that he tried to use you, but the government agency would not accept your submittal and asked to review the submittal and correct it; and supposing I did find a series of errors, I would take all the appropriate actions.

Be real careful.

I won't comment on the moral issues which seem to embroil so many who post here...

Zoom

Generally, people who use engineers that work on the side are the same people that will call me up on a $5000 proposal and tell me that XYZ company will do it for $50 less. I fire those clients all the time - for obvious reasons.

And how exactly do you "fire a client"? I've always understood that it's the client that has executive privilege. Not to mention, at the point that they're haggling, it seems to me that they're still just "potential" clients. Such a stance (as you have taken) should surely weed them out before they ever get a chance to burden you as a "regular" client.

I'd like to give the original poster a cautionary note. If you are engineer working in an area in which you are inexperienced (I got this impression as you said you were going to review this or that manual) and you make a mistake, either in the engineering or in the submittal process, you will probably be caught with your pants down, with unknown consequences to you either professionally or personally.

No doubt about that. While it's true that there's always risk in business, in general, it takes a good bit of time to hone professional skills. If you're wearing "many hats" for the first time, you really should do what you know how to do, and do it well.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

I'm curios abut RDK's comment that using your home phone is in some way cheating the phone company.

Do they provide some sort of enhanced service to business owners?

Sure, they have their marketing plans and if you set up a business account there are probably certain tax benifets that don't apply if you use a home home phone, but I'm not sure I recognize anything as cheating.

It seems like a trade, more of a business decision that anything else.

What would be the basis for considering it cheating?

I'm just curious.

I'm curios abut RDK's comment that using your home phone is in some way cheating the phone company.

Could be just a Canadian thing...

There are literally hundreds of thousands of US home-based businesses, and they are doing absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong by using a home number. The phone companies certainly don't mind listing these businesses - and they have the records to prove that the home and business numbers match.

There may be certain business activities which require an upgrade to a business account. But to say that using a home phone for business is "cheating" the phone company, is simply outlandish. I have spoken with our phone company about this, and they have no problem with it, whatsoever.

Yes, though - business accounts do receive enhanced services, and in many places, are the only way to get certain things - like a static IP address for your internet connection, for example. (this is why I actually had the conversation with the phone company) It has more to do with what services and facilities the phone company is willing to provide to a residential block, (as opposed to commercial) than what they're trying to keep you from doing on your personal line. Simple business, just like your decision whether or not to opt for those services.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back