breakaway fence design

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwf

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2002
US
from vwf

I am a civil engineering consultant in Pa. We are beginning a design effort to modify an existing stiockade fence to mitigate its impact on the floodplain and floodway of a stream.Before we became involved i am trying to see if agencies like yourself have standards for construction of fencing infloodplains. We are looking at breakaway sections with eyebolt type connectors to prevent the sections from washing downstream. the sections would then open like "horizontally hinged gates" to allow for the passage of stormflows (for the 100 year storm event) - and would then bneed to be renailed to the breakaway post after the storm.

does anyone have any design standards or installations like this?

Thanks

vwf

Vincent.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have done several designs based on the same principle but for bridge railings so not entirely applicable. Are you proposing that they fall flat on the ground or pivoted at the top? Is there a problem with the latter with a debris loading or a rogue log etc.?

Have been involved in the development of textile concrete,
it should be possible to made center pivoted slats, that can BE rotated as indicated. There is some expertise at
CTL. Skokie.

Hi Vincent
I have just got back from a due diligence study of some hydro power stations. Being a mechanical engineer, I did not pay too much attention to static structures. However one planned change which did prick my ears up were some hydraulically destabilised flash gates which sound like they may be of some use to you. They are of French design and are unfortunately sacrificial. They are placed on the crest of a dam, and act as a flashboard. We are looking for increased storage from existing dams, about 3m height,for generation purposes, but sudden crest height reduction in the event of a design flood. The gates are in essence like a row of rectangular oil drums, but designed to destabilise and fall over when the water level reaches a predetermined height.
If this sounds like what you are looking for, let me know and I will find the vendor.

Cheers

Steve McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back