Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridge Curves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfleck

Automotive
Jan 4, 2008
US
Can someone please provide an example of using the constraint faces option within a bridge curve
To me the help file does not explain its use very well.
Thanks
NX 5.0.6.3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, here is a classic example of how one would use the 'Constraint Face' option when creating a Bridge Curve.

I wish to draw a smooth curve, as shown in the picture below, from one edge to another while making sure that the curve lies on the blended face.

Bridge_Curve_Constraint_Face.jpg

I've also attached the part as seen above so that you can try it yourself as to what happens when you edit the Bridge Curve and deselect the blend face as the Constraint Face.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Perhaps I should have used a slightly more complex example so as to show off how "useful" this can really be...

Bridge_Curve_Constraint_Face-1.jpg

The 'Constraint Face' is not limited to a single face, as long as the are smooth and have no reversals in convexity.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

John,
By the way, how do you attach images in the body of your posts? Sorry if this is obvious, but I looked around for a while to figure this out and haven't found the answer yet. I know how to attach files; just don't know how to have the images show up in the post text body.

First you have to have a URL for the image. Now in my case I belong to a photo sharing service which I subscribe to which allows me to upload images and once stored on the site I can take the web address for the image and embed it into a link on any HTML enabled site, such as message boards like this one. Depending on the exact protocol being used by the web developer of the site the format of the 'tags' may differ a little, but they are all pretty much the same with only subtle difference. That being said, if you would like to see the format for the various 'tags' which you can embed into THIS particular message board, go to...

About a 3rd of the way down the page you will find the section which describes how to embed images.

Anyway, have fun.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

It's so strange that you can use a certain method for defining
curves on surfaces(for many years), and never realize that there is a much easier way.
Thank you so much for this John.
I feel like a noob!

It has only been in since NX-4. I haven't confirmed using the Studio Surface bundle for later NX but the curve on surface there was more accurate although it appeared to lack for snapping or continuity with valid boundary objects. The default best fall back has always been to project along a vector rather than using surface normals.

Any new information in that regard would also interest me.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks John,
that explains it much better than the help files. You know I wish the help files would be better in general and provide more examples of all the functionality of the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back