Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bridge "Los Grillos" collapse on Colombia. Progressive cantilever bridge... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

X4vier

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2018
CO

For now, they (technicians) are talking about failures in the foundations.
JF3AWUX5BBATNBAYSS22RWO2VA_mukxob.jpg

LosGrillos02_2_p9sqtv.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The bank on the right side of both pictures has clearly collapsed recently.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Either a big chunk fell off or the bridge looks to have pulled apart after recent earthquakes mentioned in the report.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I think this is a case where you rent it out for military exercises.

We did this with a partially sunk barge with insufficient value to justify salvage. We towed it out to sea and the Coast Guard got to play with their guns.

Looks like a great place for a Dukes of Hazard episode.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

SWComposites said:
There are probably lots of bridges in the greater LA area that span fault lines.

the I-10 / I-215 interchange is directly on top of the San Jacinto Fault. My office used to be about a block away. my house was located approximately 2 miles from the San Andreas. I had enough fun with earthquakes and moved...

Of course the Coasties have guns, not everyone wants to be boarded for inspection.
Some are even dumb enough to try to run.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

He didn't say what size guns....

I thought he meant a 155mm or something that would sink a boat, not small arms fire.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

From the slug that landed on our boat I would guess it was some type of 20mm sabot round. It was smaller than 20mm but too long to be a 50 cal.

LittleInch said:
I thought he meant a 155mm or something that would sink a boat, not small arms fire.

If you dig into the history, a 5-inch main gun wasn't unusual for the Coastguard on their larger ships. One of the purposes of the big guns on a cutter is to disable/sink any merchant ship that refuses to comply, or to sink derelict/ghost ships for safety.

A friends' daughter was an armorer in the CG. "My gun shoots over the horizon" she said :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Wonder how many crickets were on the bridge at the time [ponder]

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back