Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brief Condensation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfer

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2019
US
If I have a climate chamber - elevated temp and RF%, and have a sheet of transparent acrylic inside. Steady state conditions for both temp and humidity - so acrylic sheet is the same temp as air. Will condensation form on the clear acrylic sheet?

I am thinking condensation will not form on this sheet, but want to make sure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Condensation requires an exchange of energy, usually driven by a temperature difference. It there is no difference in temperature between an object and the surrounding air there won't be condensation. Note that no difference is much different from really small difference, though annoying condensation usually requires large difference. There is also the chance for an air temperature change that produces fog which can deposit on things.

My favorite condensation problem was in the Gypsum caves in Mexico in which the temperature and humidity were high enough that the internal temperature of human lungs was enough to cause condensation - one could drown by just breathing, at least until the cave was closed and reflooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back