Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

brine composition

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanparvez

Mechanical
May 26, 2006
CA
It will be great if someone can tell me the brine compostion contained in the crude oil not the brine used for oil recovery.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would vary according to the crude oil, it's not going to be a single composition. What sort of level of information are you looking for?

Thx TD2K for ur response. I want to know brine fround in North american crude oil and I know it vaires from texas to albeta to gulf of mexico. And I want to how much NaCl, CaCl2 and others in Brine (Chemistry or Composition).

I don't think there is an answer to your inquiry. The brine composition will be specific to the field and maybe even well that you're discussing. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than myself can shed additional light on how compositions might vary, if it is possible to make such generalities.

As the others have said, it will be site-specific.
The only certainty is that the salt concentration will be from 0 to 100% saturated at the temperature & pressure of the deposit. There are several NaCl-CaCl[sub]2[/sub]-H[sub]2[/sub]O phase diagrams in the literature, e.g., Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta vol. 52, pages 2451-2456 (1988), but I think you are better off searching the petroleum & petrology & corrosion literature. I recall several NACE-published studies of corrosive effects of various combinations of CO[sub]2[/sub], H[sub]2[/sub]O, H[sub]2[/sub]S and NaCl. Some solutions were to simulate natural brines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back