Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken Dimensions on Detail Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles2

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
GB
Using Version 12

I am creating a drawing of a 400mm diameter part and need to show small features on the diameter.

I have created the drawing at 1:1 then added a detail view at 5: to show the features in question.

The problem is I need to dimension the feature as a diameter in the 5:1 view. I can not see a way of doing this which does not require a centreline way off my drawing sheet.

Can anyone help please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Biggles2,

I would recommend going into the draw in view command and adding the centerlines there. This will allow you to dimension to it later in your detail veiw.

DNA

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.

The issue is not the absence of a centreline, but the fact that in a 5:1 detail view a centreline if used, would be some 600mm or so over the edge of the drawing sheet

I need some way of creating a dimension driven by the part, with a single leader line and a short dimension line on which the dimension sits.

I understand that to give the impression of this I could dimesion not to the centreline but to some other nearer point, blank the leader line and dimension text then use the prefix facility to type in the value I want displayed.
This however is dangerous as the value would not alter should any change be made to the part.

Is there some other option?

I don't know if this will work in SE but in Solidworks you can create a break line (like you would use to dimension long parts)to move the centerline closer to the feature you are dimensioning.

I'm not sure if you can edit an existing dimension to do this - but I have a custom dimension style which creates dimensions with horizontal embedded text which I use for all diameter and radial dimensions. This doesn't give the big dimension you mention, just a small 'leader-like' dimension when you move the text outside of the diameter. Settings for this are Text = Horizontal, Embedded. Lines and Co-ordinates = Connect Un-checked, Project Centrelines Unchecked.

When I try to modify properties of an existing dimension to that above, it doesn't seem to work. But creating a new style as above does, especially when you move the text outside of the diameter being dimensioned

Hope this helps....

It's a bummer I'm not at a SE-console right now, but you can dimension a diameter with a broken dimention. It's an option in the Smart-dimension toolbar (the yellow dimension-thingy). It let's you place the dimension and select the break-off-point of the arrow. Try arrond, you'll bound to find it somewhere. I'm not absolutely sure it 'll work in a deatail view though..

Regards,

Pekelder

Try this:

1) Re-position the detail view off the page. I do this so I can see clearly.

2) On your 1:1 view, re-size the circle so it catches the center of the 400mm diameter. This will also re-crop the detail view.

3) Place the dimension on the detail view using. Since the view is re-cropped, you should see the center in the detail view.

4) On the 1:1 view, re-crop the view to the original view, then re-position the dimension.

5) Reposition the view on the drawing.

If you would like to see a detailed presentation on this effort, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back