Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BS EN 1591-1 Bolt torque spreadsheet 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_b_b

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2020
GB
I've been given a task to find the required bolt torque to safely seal a gasket between 2 flanges. I am wanting to use the standard BS EN 1591-1 however i understand it is quite complex and i have had difficulty using it. We are only using these bolt torques for a ballast water system so a lot of the parameters are going to be assumptions because they don't matter too much. The only thing that will change is the flange and gasket size with the number of bolts etc.

I was wondering if anyone has a simple spreadsheet or calculator for BS EN 1591-1?

Thank you for any help given!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is nothing simple about the calculations. And anyone who has done the actual hard work is unlikely to be interested in giving it away for free (and be wary of those who would). You have much to gain by creating your own calculation sheet with the methodology - that is a path I strongly recommend.

Hi TGS4,

Thank you for your help,

Yeah i've contacted a few companies and the issue we have is that prices are too high due to it being a lower priority in the company so i'm struggling to get support on this task. Is there any support anywhere that will help me understand the equations in BS EN 1591-1?

I've got BS EN13445 as back up and i've made a spreadsheet for that, will that be enough or would it be best to get a spreadsheet for BS EN 1591-1?

If you don't understand the calculations, how can you possibly even understand another's calculation sheet. You really need to do it yourself. EN13445 has a completely different calculation and purpose for the calculation.

I'm an intern at the company and not an expert at all about this, i'm slowly learning everything. So any advice is taken on board. I'm looking to see if it was possible or if it will be too complex at my level which with BS EN 1591-1 is showing to be very complex which is why i created this thread to see if there was a simple spreadsheet out there or if i had to do it myself.

Thank you for your help guys

Some useful references:

An introduction to design and behaviour bolted joints Bickford - Has section on gaskets
Flexitallic Gasket Design Criteria -

KLINGER do a software program KLINGER expert that will advise this - believe if you contact they may be able to assist (thought don't quote me on that)

An alternative method is the ASME BPVC Section VIII method using m and y factors for gaskets or the PVRC method (Gasket factors Gb, a, Gs)

I concur with TGS4. However, as much as I understand e.g. ASME VIII-1, I havent done all of the calculations which PVElite does for me by hand for every VIII-1-vessel I do. That would simply make each job too timeconsuming. Instead, Ive always focussed to understand each segment or Code section which becomes applicable in a certain calculation of a vessel, and tried that Code section (first) in Excel. Ive started with simple vessels, and then expanded gradually to more complex stuff.

Now for EN 1591-1, it would hardly be impossible to first create your own method (in say Excel, MathCAD or SMath), before using commercial software. For an VIII-1 App. 2 calculation made in Excel, I believe that's a good start (rather than jumping to PVElite or Compress).

But EN 1591-1 is very difficult. To give you an impression on the complexity, review Red-Bag's video on their EM 1591-1 software.

Afaik, there currently isnt much software on the market that supports EN 1591-1. As much as I

Huub

Always I suggest bolt elongation, not torque
Only one (easy) formula is required for elongation: see PCC-1 10.2 Bolt Elongation (Bolt Stretch) Determination

Example procedure: stud diam. 25,4mm, length between two flanges 150,00 mm, stud length 220 mm required elongation: 0,5 mm

1) Select a NPS 1 ¼ “ sch 80 L= 150 mm (including 2 square washers 50 x 50 x 5 mm)
2) Introduce the stud in the pipe (lubricate surfaces)
3) Turn de nut with torque wrench up to obtain 0,5 mm elongation. Use micrometer
4) Read the torque value.
5) Install all studs in the nozzle flanges (lubricate surfaces) and using the same torque wrench turn the nuts to achieve the torque value (with TIGHTENING SEQUENCE )

I used this procedure with nuclear pressure vessels (year 1980)

Regards

The same torque value is for 100 mm or 400 mm long stud.
Hence, elongation is the correct system for tensioning studs. Stud length is in the formula for tensioning.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back