Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSP or BSPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrehy

Automotive
Aug 29, 2003
AE
Hi,

I want to tap an oil gallery and insert a threaded bung in it rather than a push fit bung. Just wondered what peoples opinions are, should I just tap 1/4 bsp and screw in a 1/4 bsp blanking plug until it goes tight, or should I tap 1/4 bspt and put a taper bung in..? Does it make any difference?

Basically I'd rather just tap 1/4 bsp as I have a 1/4 bsp tap to hand...

Sorry if it's a bit basic...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BSP is a straight, non-sealing thread, that requires a fitting with a face seal feature, like an o-ring to effect a seal.

BSPT is tapered, and uses the taper to jam and seal.

I think there is a combination that can still seal, like >>maybe<< a BSPT plug in a BSP tapped hole.

Thanks,

I guess if I only tap the gallery 15mm deep and wind the socket set screw in, until it gets tight where the thread has stopped and put a bit of hydraulic seal or loctite in it it's got to be ok?

Does anyone else know about that bspt bsp combo?

I normally use BSPT taps, but BSPT plugs work OK in existing straight BSP holes. I always use Loctite 525 or 515 to seal threads. It works great.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I have successfully used BSPT plugs in parallel BSP holes, because like many people I already have the tap.

Using Locktite or some other similar thread sealer is absolutely vital with a tapered thread, or it will slowly weep oil forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back