Buckling of spheres

Status
Not open for further replies.

babe

Industrial
Aug 18, 1999
US
Visit site
I am investigating the buckling behaviour of spherical structures. I have found a reference to Timoshenko's "Theory of elasticity", but I read in a review that there are few worked-out examples in this book. Can anyone advise me about this book or recommend another?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I presently do not have a copy, but I have always consulted a book titled &quot;Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain&quot; for these types of problems. I do not recall if it covers sphere's, but it is very comprehensive and a great book to have if you do lots of stress/strain calculations without the aide of a FEA.<br>
<br>
I am sure it is available through <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
I also looked in another reference book and they site another book by Timoshenko that you may want to look at; Timoshenko, S., and S. Woinowsky-Kreiger: &quot;Theory of Plates and Shells,&quot; 2d ed., McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1959<br>
<br>
Goodluck.<br>

Hi Babe<br>
<br>
I have the Timoshenko books, good but does not cover what you are looking for. Another book by Timoshenko is "Strength of materials", but covers buckling of tubes<br>
<br>
Roark' does have a table for buckling of a thin sphere under uniform pressure, table 35, case 22. I have the 6th ed.<br>
<br>
Another good book is " Guide to stability design criteria for Metal structures", ed by Theodore V Galambos, John Wiley & Sons. This covers buckling of spheres. I have excel spreadsheet for this.

Hi babe<br>
<br>
I forget to mention that most pressure vessel codes (ASME, BS, AD Merkblatter) have sections on external pressure.<br>
<br>
Other reference is Welding Research Council Bulletin WRC 406<br>
& API 2U, Stability design of shells

I suggest that you refer to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII. Therein you will find design rules for external pressure on spheres, cylinders and cones.

Naren,<br>
<br>
thank you for your information. I already had the information from Roark's (this is the first book I consult whenever I have a question; it is the bible of engineering) and read the Von Karman solution on buckling. The book &quot;Guide to stability design criteria for Metal structures&quot; sounds promising and I wonder what your spreadsheet looks like. <br>
Please contact me on <A HREF="mailto:vanbelle@gis.net">vanbelle@gis.net</A>.<br>
<br>
I know that there are codes for designing vessels and such loaded under external pressure, but at the moment I am looking for failure strengths. This is why I find your reference intriguing.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Babe

There are numereous papers and reports on spherical shells. If your are wanting to determine the buckling load for a spherical cap or shell, Fitch and Budansky probably has the best "cook book" type of procedure. There are several references in my survey article I did for the ASME--Pressure Vessels and Piping: Design Technology 1982 A Decade of Progress. Well over 100 references apply to spherical shells. <br>
If you need some assistance in analyzing a specfic design, I might be able to help. I have several computer methods that could be used. <br>
<br>
Remember Spheres prefer hexagon buckling patterns, while cylinders prefer diamonds

Mtnengr,<br>
<br>
Yes, I would be very interested in looking at your codes. I have had some setbacks in retrieving test data and so I have not worked with some of the equations I found yet. Could you send me your email address to <A HREF="mailto:vanbelle@gis.net">vanbelle@gis.net</A>? I might need your help in the near future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back