Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bug in Mathcad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabcio

Electrical
Jan 17, 2003
PL
When I insert a new text region and define a variable in this region, variable becomes "invisible" outside the area if the area is collapsed. If area isn't collapsed variable is visiable. Is it bug in Mathcad?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I see what you're saying... You have a collapsible area, wherein you have atext box with a math region inside of that. When the area is collapsed, the variable becomes undefined.

That does seem to be a bug.

TTFN

OK my English isn't good but I'll try to repeat. do the following steps:
1)Open new area
2)insert new text region
3)insert new math region into tex region
4)define a new variale (egz. a:=2)
5)go to the new area
6)type "a=" and Mathcad will automaticaly add 2 (a=2) (variable is defined)
7)erase it ("a=2")
8)return to previous area and collapse it
9)type "a=" and Mathcad will be waiting for a definition - "a:=" (what means variable isn't defined)

is it a bug in Mathcad?

ps. get lost greg

I'm just wondering if it is a bug as in bug, or if it is a logical consequence of collapsing the text region. If you were allowed to hide assignments in this fashion then you could set up a whole bunch of assignments and then hide them, completely destroying the transparency of the document, which is one of MathCad's virtues.

Hey fabcio, I was making a joke, don't take offence.

Cheers

Greg Locock

My opinion is that it's a bug, albeit mostly an annoyance than a critical thing.

The collapsible areas are supposed to help you organize and compact the appearance of long sheet. The ability to insert math regions within text boxes allows you to document the sheet in a natural fashion.

Since regular math regions continue to work correctly after an area is collapsed, the inserted math region should behave the same, particularly since they made the inserted math regions live and active within the sheet. TTFN

have you inquired to Mathsoft? I often use collapsed regions. I just checked one of my files... it's actually a template that I use for every computation sheet. It includes a collapsed region that I title "Non Standard Mathcad Units." I followed the steps that you outlined in one of your messages and duplicated the error (defining "a:=2"). However, if I define ksf:= 1000lbf/ft^2 in the area and collapse it, the definition works. Now I'm perplexed. I will continue to investigate, but wonder if you've found anything out from Mathsoft.

.... Okay... now when I start fresh and run your scenario again (a:=2), the definition works.

Please let me know if you find anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back