Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building codes in Russia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitzey

Chemical
Jul 2, 2011
US
I am designing a chemical plant to be built in St. Petersburg, Russia. Due to the climate, we need to put this process in a building. I have been approached by an American builder of steel buildings who think they might be able to compete with local builders. However, they want me to tell them what codes they need to comply with, and mentioned snow, wind and seismic. I am not having an easy time answering this question.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This seems kind of "sketchy" to me. I have no doubt in today's economy that someone will be willing to underbid another. However, I would think they would at least need to team up with someone who provides similar services in the jurisdiction (in this instance Russia). Asking a Chem E what building codes to use in like asking a chef why my car is making a weird noise.

It doesn't hurt for them to ask you.... but if you don't know, you don't know. If they want to build the building then let them figure out the code.

This still may not be an "underbid" situation. Even today, there is still some government influence and confidence in the contractor and designer is required. You will need a local professional to understand the real requirements (design, codes and performance)and translate them to you since the terms and concepts are founded in time and application. It is not like the classic design, bid and build arrangement that exists in the U.S.

The people (contractors, developers or operators) do recognize that you must have an idea of what is required legally and politically. Competing with a local builder will be difficult.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

They have traditionally used the term "tips" in western Russia, just as they do in Eastern Europe. In Eastern Russia, it did not have a good term was usually left undescribed or unsaid.

The awarding and completion celebrations are brutal and something to be avoided of possible, but the first one is interesting. I survived 7 years of numerous projects in Russia/CIS.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

A very interesting post. The term "tips" is prevalent in Eastern Europe. For example if you go to a hospital for surgery, you may have to "tip" the surgeons and doctors. And everybody things that medical treatments are cheap in Europe.
Back to the original post, good luck about building in Russia

Fortunately, I've found english version of SNiP
Do you need russian speaking person for your projects in Russia? ;)

Because of the decades of government control and influence, it is not all gone and may be stronger in some industries and in codes. There is also a problem with the Cyrillic alphabet that results in some strange regional translations.

In St. Petersburg, you may find some contacts in the Balkans (Latvia, Lithuania, etc., but there are some differences because of the differences due to politics and orientation. It is best to go with contacts in the area of the project. Russia is huge (10 or 12 time zones) and encompasses different oblasts(states/regions) that have different concepts and languages.

Dick

Thanks for the many replies. This is like the last piece of a puzzle (actually last thing in my cost estimate), and I sure would like to get something reasonable done soon.

The company I work with has ties with a construction company, and they say they have erected lots of super markets! Kind of strange for a chemical company.

Thank you very much for the English version of SNIPS. This is very helpful.

Since I have been working with a Russian company, I have found that there are many natives of Russia here where I live, in Pensacola, Florida (and they all seem to know each other).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back