Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Built up LVL sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam6444

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2007
US
Is it possible or even advisable to create sections like a "T" or "C" by nailing and/or gluing LVL lumber? I'd like to make "C" type section by attaching an LVL top and bottom to a few vertical members. The result would be a "C" shape.
If it can be done, how? Nail? Glue? both. I'm trying to create a section with an unusually large "I" value.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How will you consider the engineering for the singly-symmetric wood shape? I've not come across that information before for wood.

It seems like that would take an unreasonably large number of connectors to accomplish as well. Perhaps steel angles with bolts in the corners would help.

Well, to be exact, what I'm trying to do may be impractical.
I need to span 16' with a dead load above of about 200 #/l.f. It's an exterior wall of a residence. Interior wall is 18' high. i.e. no lateral support for beam. Bending is not a problem. Deflection in the weak axis due to wind is the issue. We're using around 350 #/l.f. for wind loads. Framer wants to use 3 1.75" x 16" lvl. If I could attach a stem or stems to the interior face of the LVL I thought that would stiffen it enough to get the deflection down.

It seems to me that adding stems would put a portion of the LVL in cross-grain bending: not good. That is also an unusual way to frame with wood. If you have room for a stem, why not just add another LVL? It looks like you should about have it if you go to 4 LVL's connected to work compositely and go to an 18-inch depth, depending on just how much delfection you want to live with.

I'm not exactly visualizing where this has to fit, but can you do something with steel? You apparently have room for a 5 1/4" x 16" beam, so it seems like you would have space for a channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back