Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Butler "Foundation design and construction manual" 1984 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the response KootK. Unfortunately nobody at Butler knows how
to a copy. Tried Amazon and EBAY, but no luck.

Actually, I have the email address that you need in my archives. Go to my profiles, see if you can figure out how to contact me, and I'll hook you up. And send me $500 cash and a bottle scotch please.

ntpe,

Do you want a paper copy or an pdf copy?

I have 5 or so mint paper copies that I would be willing to let go at a very reasonable cost, if you want paper copies.

The other version mentioned is a very good pdf copy which I also recommend.

Jim

KootK - Send it over, I know how to tell if it is in the public domain... about 10 years ago the Portland Cement Association taught me that I needed to educate myself about basic applied copyright law. But that is another story... with a happy ending, fortunately.
How big is the .pdf file?

[idea]

KootK and SRE ... I’ll leave it up to you two to work out whether it is Public Domain or not as I wouldn’t know.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Ideally, I'd like to hear from ajh1 as that's where I got it from. Let's give him a day or two to materialize and then take it from there. He actually logged in today so he's around.

File size = 27 MB

KootK - No hurry, your decision, take your time. I believe the email address on my website can take a 27 MB file. If/when the time comes, try that address, we will find out.

Edit: Here is an "executive summary" FAQ on US copyright law that I posted some years ago in the History Forum:

"When does a (printed) published copyrighted work enter the public domain?"

Edit #2: Some documents, like manufacturers catalogs and certain technical info, were never copyrighted. In that case, the document entered the public domain immediately upon publication.

[idea]

Thanks SRE. If it's a legit thing to share, I'll absolutely be happy to share it. Heck, I'll even post a Dropbox link here. It's a fine piece of classic engineering literature that should stay a part of the structural lexicon.

If ajh1 doesn't pop up shortly, I suppose that there's nothing stopping me from just emailing him about it.

jimstructures , I would love to have a pdf copy. I'm also interested in a book
copy as well, but I'm not sure how to do this without violating board rules. Any
idea?

I have a scanned copy of the Butler Foundation Manual for the Widespan & Landmark series buildings. It doesn't show any copyright. I don't know what year it was printed. I got it about 20 years ago from a former co-worker. At the time, he needed one of the guys in my group to analyze a footing for a PEMB. The file size is about 18 MB. I'll post it if the consensus is we're not violating any copyright laws.

If someone has to break the law for this book to be posted, then so be it. Sometimes there is a higher calling.

If it is your first offense, then you probably won't have to do hard time. If that were to occur, then we will definitely go to your sentencing hearing and argue for a reduced sentence.

I love this discussion of whether or not posting information (that is necessary, but not readily available) required for education and design can be made freely available. Copyright laws shouldn't impede the transfer of information for non-monetary means...but I'm closer to an anarchist than anything else, so lock me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back