BVP22 Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.H

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2018
GB
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone would happen to have a BVP22 Operation and Maintenance manual? Also anyone know where i can get hold of the Primary fingers from (new), been searching but can only find BVP17 components online.

thanx all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The BVP22 is a bulk oil breaker, not a VCB.

I think I have a couple of BVP22 manuals at work, I'll scan them in for you when I find a few free minutes.

A few companies have managed to mount an ABB VD4 or V-Max vacuum circuit breaker onto a BVP22-compatible truck. Not all have had them type-tested, so make of that what you will - personally I'd be a little wary of something that hasn't been type-tested but that because I'm one of the muppets who stands in front of these things. [wink]

If you have to order female contacts be aware that there are at least three variants - Alcomet designed the 5-petal variant as a special for us because they didn't have that one in their range at the time. The other types have either four or six petals. There are also at least two variants of the turbulators - some are GRP and some are what I guess is a phenolic material like Tufnol or similar.

Scotty, I don't do any work on that kind of stuff. Even if I started my career as a helper at ASEA breaker development lab (V Breakers) in Ludvika. I showed your text to my wife. She looked at me, amazed. "Is this for real? Female contacts? Petals? Standing in front of WHAT? Turbulator?"

Deep knowledge and experience is not always easy to understand.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Hi Gunnar,

Those names have been around since long before I was born. :)

Five-petal female contact cluster:
gec_aei_bvrp17_5_finger_fixed_female_cluster_2.png

Turbulator / explosion pot / cross-jet pot etc:
principle+of+cross-jet-explosion-pot.png

Most of us who work in the power industry are wary of bulk oil switchgear and do our best to minimise direct interaction with it, not because it is especially unreliable but because on the odd occasion when it does fail the result is usually a major fire and / or explosion. This incident happened on a fairly small 11kV bulk oil switchboard, and the extent damage resulting from the breaker failure is self-evident. I wouldn't want to be within 50' of that building when it happened, never mind standing alongside the breaker.

I have taken a look at Alcomet but all the contacts are internal ones, im looking for the contact fingers that go ontop of the bushing (the interface between the CB & Unit)

Been looking round the internet but cant find any bvp22 retrofits

I heard of an incident many years ago.
A small paper mill replaced a transformer feeding an existing yard. This was stepping down to 480 Volts.
The 480 Volts was carried on two parallel 500 MCM conductors.
The conductors were overheating and our firm was called in to install a third set of parallel conductors.
The mill electricians told our electricians that when the transformer was originally installed the plant electrical supervisor closed the breaker the first time.
The parallel cables were cross connected.
The very old OCB blew out all of the oil.
Fortunately there was no fire nor explosion, but the entire switchroom and contents were covered in transformer oil, including the supervisor.
The plant electricians said that that's why our firm was contracted rather than the original contractor.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

N.H - I can't download it either. Looks like it has dropped the file extension, not sure what else is wrong with it.

Alcomet will reverse engineer pretty much any contact given enough information: their 5-petal contact for the BVRP17 was was developed for us, and the M-PACT ACB contact assembly was one of ours too. If you can provide a sample they will work from the sample. Give them a ring and discuss what you're looking for, our experience has been positive.

SPE have a retrofit BVP17 which they've designed and built themselves, and would likely develop a BVP22 if asked. We spoke to them a year or two ago and their BVP17 retrofit looks very solid.
P&B Engineering have a retrofit BVP17 (and a few others) based on the established ABB V-Max VCB and would likely develop something similar for the BVP22, probably using the VD4 VCB.
Schneider have the 2000A VMX which is dimensionally interchangeable with a BVP22, only needing a few mods to the auxiliary contacts. I haven't seen the 2000A VMX, but I don't like the smaller VMX at all: it feels cheap (it isn't, it just feels that way), the build quality is questionable (one of ours had to have remedial work before being accepted into service as a result of being poorly assembled) and a fair number have suffered bottle failures according to the reports filed in the NEDERS database by the DNO's. They seem to have relatively high PD activity on the resin spouts too - not worryingly high, but higher than we're used to.

thanyou scotty, will look into these.

if you get time i would be very appreciative for a copy of the BVP22 manual.

ScottyUK 17 Nov 18 12:05

Yes, not new to me. It was the reaction from my wife that was entertaining.

I did, as mentioned, schlieren measurements on breakers, using high-speed photography, to study the gas flow pattern in the quenching chambers at ASEA, now ABB. That made me aware of the risks involved in high-power breaking. Especially under fault conditions with DC components in inductive circuits. I found electronics a lot safer and kind of switched career from that moment on.

But I was still supposed to be a power electric guy and was sent to handle quite a few dubious installations. One of them was a case where Siemens breakers (with Expansin[sup]TM[/sup]) in them.
I asked the personell about maintenance and especially if the Expansin had ever been checked?
"We ordered some, many years ago, but we seem to have lost it" he replied. We couldn't see a trace of the Expansin in the breakers, so I called Siemens and asked what to do. "You can use ordinary water" was the answer. Just water? Yes, and if it is out-doors or cold in the room, just add some of that stuff you use in your car. Ordinary Anti-freeze? Yes, you can buy it at any gas station.

I got papers signed and we got that flourescent liquid at the nearest gas station. It was an A + B system, so we isolated one part and put the "moon-shine" Expansin in all the breaker poles. Then isolated the other system and did the same thing.

We even tested the thing. "Better to fail now than failing with no Expansin in them" was the reasoning. There were trip solenoids. So we didn't have to stand in front of the breakers. It worked!

I called that guy at Siemens and his reaction was "You did? And you are OK?". I said yes. To which he answered: Hell isn't as hot as the clerks are shouting about.

Gunnar Englund

I've been using ScottyIK's slideshow in my electrical safety presentations for years after he sent it to me.

"If your written procedure contains a line that says "Put on a flash suit, tie a poly rope to the operating handle, then stand outside the door to operate', you might want to consider other employment options."

old field guy

Exactly, OFG!
That is what I did. Don't see much high-powered things today. Except for one or two 20 MW motors. But the breakers are not where I stay.

Gunnar Englund

thanx scotty, much appreciated.

only problem is im having trouble opening the first o&m, are there 3 files here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back