Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Mullion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a glass facade, on the range of L/50 under 50 yr winds to prevent damage to the glass and sealants. For seciceability wind loads, it's more about not frightening the villagers.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

The trick is to realize that your facade will be likely be assembled from multiple lites connected to the cables near the edges of those lites. As such, cable deflection results in essentially no glass deflection but a whole lot of rotation in the sealant joints between lites.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Exactly. Of course, I'm just guessing at what I think OP might be up to.

Glass itself can tolerate a surprising amount of out of plane deflection too. L/50 would be a bit much though.

Do you know in what standard I can find the L/50 deflection limit? I've also heard that there is L/75 deflection limit too

Pratama H.R.S., B.Sc, M.Sc
Facade Engineer

I know of no code specifying applicable deflection limits pratamahrs. If you find one, I'd love to hear about it.

The amount of pre-tensioning load to the single cable will depend on the permissible deflection of the cable. While there are no standards mentioning this allowable deflection, it is worthwhile to know if it is better to prove by testing or by theory. L/50 would be ideal but up to what span?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back