Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cable specifications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

multimeter5

Industrial
Aug 23, 2006
GB
Hi all, I am due to install a VSD for a 5.5kW inverter rated motor. The cable length is less than 100m. I was going to run the cable in a single wired armoured cable, but I have been told that this caused a problem in an installation before with other electronic equipment. Is there any BS types or standards I should look into before specifing which cable to use. I was thinking about screening etc.
thanks
multimeter5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my personal experience, I'd go for one of these...

So far they are working fine but on shorter distances. However with longer distances you might wanna have a look at the power losses and increase the cross section of the cable.

And connect the shielding to the ground. That will do the trick :\

Hello multimeter5

There are special cables available for connecting the output of a VSD to a motor. These will work better than standard cables when it comes to reducing noise.
It is common to use a neutral screened cable, but a steel wire armoured cable will be far less effective.
You neet to use a screened cable where the screen is at least a single layer of woven copper mesh whith the screen bonded to the motor frame using a screened gland, or a saddle type clamp and also connected to the chassis of the VSD with either a screened gland or a saddle type clamp.
Note, the screen must be continuous and properly terminated at both ends for minimum noise. The better the cable screening, the more effective the noise reduction.

Best regards,

Mark Empson

multimeter5
As it sounds like you are in the UK with your reference to BS, then the installation of the VSD will be subject to the rules regulated by the EMC Directive. As the VSD is a 'component' of the complete system, it is therefore up to the supplier/manufacturer of the particular VSD you are to install to advise on the type/specification of cable to use to ensure your installation meets with the EMC directive. Basically, you must use what they advise otherwise you are now breaking the law determined by the EMC Directive. If you ignore their recommendations and a problem is created into the public electrical network, then the problem rests with you. There are a number of other factors that will determine whether or not you are within the EMC limits of emission/immunity but all this information should be provided by your VSD supplier.

OK thanks sed2developer, I will be in touch with the VSD manufacturer for this information.
thanks for all you help everyone
multimeter5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back