Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD to CAM path

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd38011

Nuclear
Aug 1, 2006
US
How well does Alibre integrate with small-scale CNC manufacturing? Is it well-suited for designing mechanical parts to prototyped in a small machine shop? I guess I'm asking if it exports in more than one popular language.

Also, I have seen some packages that seen combine CAD with FEA rather well in the same program, or suite. How well does Alibre lend itself to analysis? Are there any specific analysis programs that "play" particularly well it? Any that don't?

Thanks,
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can view a list of partner products on this Alibre webpage.

I'm not a CAM guy, so I don't know how well they interact, but Alibre does have the typical export options that most CAM packages can read.

Alibre also has downloads for VisualMill and SprutCAM in their Pro and Expert package. Having not used either of these programs, I can't comment further, but it does answer your question as to how well Alibre integrates with small scale CNC>

If you are looking for a CAM package that works within the interface of Alibre, I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

I use Alibre at my business-where our primary focus is the design/engineering and manufacture of small mechanical components and moulds for the automotive performance industry.

Up to date, I have been very pleased with not only the capabilities of Alibre, but also the technical support.

One of the drawbacks however, is that other powerful analysis/cam software packages dont function within the alibre interface. I would also not recommend alibre if you are building assemblies larger than ~400 parts

It does however export well in most of the common solids file types (iges, step, stl, acis/sat, and dwg, dxf)-which will enable you to do whatever analysis/cam toolpath you want in a seperate software package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back