Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate and display direction and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

newhobby

Computer
Jul 23, 2007
US
I am involved in following science project and am in great dilemma. I am software engineer but am really novice and have very limited knowledge as to what I need or would work in this area. Any help on specific parts or technology or pointer in right direction to implement to be able to do this is greatly needed and appreciated.

Hand held unit would have a wrist watch like dial which has a dot in the center representing it’s own position. Hand held unit could be standstill or moving as in natural hand movement.

A robot can be somewhere about 30-40 feet range from the hand held unit and could be standstill or moving in any direction.

The dial shows a digital arrow which points to direction of the robot in relation to the hand held unit. Robot could be in front, back or sideways of hand held unit. Arrow moves according to the robot’s movement or the movement of hand held unit always pointing in which direction robot is in relation to hand held unit. Arrow always looks for and points to robot.

Distance between robot and hand held unit also needs to be measured and displayed on the dial.

I have somewhat looked into electronic compass, GPS, Bluetooth technology, rfid and all but am not getting anywhere. I don’t even know if I am looking into right direction!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for responding.
No, receiving and display system can be in anyshape or form but ideally like a dial in wrist watch form as the display would look nice and would be easy to read out.

Yes, signal would pass thru walls and/or metal/magnetic surrounding.

This is tricky. Preferably as little as possible.

Please rmemember, robot like unit can be as simple as a matchbox or even just functional electronic circuitry that can talk back and forth to hand held unit. Like wise all the necessary electronic circuitry should be in hand held unit so it can also talk back and forth to robot and do the display and calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back