Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculator Operations RPN versus DAL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussuri

Civil/Environmental
May 7, 2004
GB
There is a discussion ongoing on the structural engineering forum regarding the current range of HP calculators.

I was unable to comment on the discussion as I have tried a HP a few times and didn't like it. I didn't like the Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) system. I currently use a Casio CFX-9850G which uses the DAL (Direct Algebraic Logic or something similar) system. I have had it a number of years and cannot fault it. However, I seem to be alone in my department as most everyone uses a HP with RPN.

Why does RPN seem more popular? Is it a better operating method for calculators? Should I bite the bullet, ditch my Casio and move over to a HP?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[pimp]

"The world keeps turning, it keeps me in my place; where I stand is only three miles from space"
Spiritualized

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I very rarely use the graphing function, and of all the other more complicated functions, statistics, matrices, complex numbers the only thing I use occasionally is the equation solving.

Greg,

Would you have the CD-ROM for that Libretto? I still have one but the CD-ROM is missing. It was a great little tool.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

My calculator history:

1. Something my dad (IBM-er) brought home circa 1974. Had red lights.
2. TI-30
3. TI-35
4. TI-44
5. TI-66
6. HP-28C (borrowed a friend's to do matrix algebra). Discovered I liked RPN better than AOS.
7. HP-28S (bought my own)
8. HP-33S (for PE exam, don't like it)
9. HP-48S ahhhhh.
10. HP-48G emulator on my computer ahhhhhhhX2.

I had a CASIO FX9700GE from age 16 till I lost it in my last year of university, shortly before finals. It was by far the best calculator I've ever used and the only one I either really worked out how to program or use some of the more advanced features on.

At the time I lost/had it stolen (not sure which) I couldn't afford/find another one and settled for a slightly cheaper fx-7400G.

It's not as good and I'm no where near as good on it.

10. HP-48G emulator on my computer ahhhhhhhX2.

I was forced to do massive numerical calculations on a HP48-G in 1989 by a perveted professor when much more suitable computer tools were already available. The project included by necessity complex nested procedures and massive data entry for table lookups.

My ahhhh moment came after that when I threw my HP48G in the drawer and went back to desktop computer-based tools.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I'm 100% sure that v4 comes on floppies, not CD.

I didn't have the CD drive for the Libretto, I used the IR link back to my PC, and prayed that I'd never have to reinstall W95. I have still got the floppy drive, but use that with my 'new' laptop.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

My recollection is that the earlier versions of Mathcad came on 5.25" floppies. My V7 came on 3.5" floppies. So, if the former, then that's a bigger problem than with 3.5" floppies, since I haven't seen a 5.25" floppy drive in soooo long.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I bought an HP 19C printing calculator back in the mid 1970's. It was the first RPN that I'd used and took some getting used to but after that I found it preferable to DAL. The reason I bought it was that other calculators, at that time, were just not reliable and I was buying a new one every so often. Eventually I resolved to buy the best claculator that I could afford, therefore the HP 19C. Thirty years later and I'm still using it - that's reliablity.
Over the years I discovered another great advantage of RPN - folks would come into my office and ask for a calculator, see mine on the desk, pick it up, look at it and put it down again because they couldn't work out how to use it. RPN = theft proof

Sinclair Scientific, HP 25 (never could afford the HP 35), HP 97, HP 15, HP 16 (which I miss a lot - cat peed on it), HP 28S, HP 48, Casio fx-7700GE and a National Semiconductor "SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR" which Bob Pease sent me when I was having a by-pass operation and couldn't go to one of his seminars. Weird shape, but works very well.

It is mostly the HP 15 I use. Lately, I have the desktop calculator shortcut on my screen. And also use a slide rule.

Love RPN. And did a lot of FORTH programming, too. It was the only way to squeeze OS, program and data into a 64 kB memory space. Still use FORTH for an ARM7 processor. But have come to use SPIN and Propasm for the propeller processor lately (thanks to IR that hinted me).

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Never had a HP calculator.

First one I bought was a Commodore 4148, followed by a Commodore 4190.

When the nicads died I bought a cheapo Texas LCD since I didn't need hyperbolic functions anymore... followed by a Casio with hex arithmetic functions.

The latest Sharp el531w is the only one I've ever encountered that lets you set it up so that 22/7 = 3, a facility that I never knew I needed. :eek:)

DaveVikingPE:

What do you not like about the HP33s? I've heard from many people who were 48G(X) users throughout the years who also don't like the 33s. I assumed it was just because they were upset the 48G series was no longer allowed for PE exams. I've never used one myself but it is one of the ugliest HPs I've ever seen.

Why is my handle 65Roses?
Please visit to learn why!

...my first calculator was the TI SR-10, where SR stood for Slide Rule! After going through (literally) all the TI series of calculators, I eventually got an HP-28C (which I still own and use) with RPN, but I also use a Casio fx-450 with DAL...use both daily, with only a 'slight' preference for the Casio because of its more "intuitive" keystrokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back