Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculators 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveAtkins

Structural
Apr 15, 2002
US
I have had my HP 15c calculator since 1984, when I was a grad student. Yesterday, the zero key started getting "squishy" and it won't always produce a zero in the display. I love my HP 15c, but I know it is no longer made. Has anybody out there made the transition from an HP 15c (or 11c) to a newer model? If so, which one?

DaveAtkins

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had an 11C and have been using HPs since about 1975. I have a 32S at the moment (bought in 1991), and found no problem changing as they have all been (Reverse Polish Notation) RPN. The only problem is keying in the programmes (which vary slightly with each model).

I cannot use the ones with an equals sign (whatever they are called!)

StephenA

You might want to try to repair it first. There's an interesting website:
that has a history of the HP calculators and a section on repairing them.
The reason you might want to repair it is that HP seems to be de-emphasizing the calculator business. Their latest models don't seem as well made or thought out as their earlier ones. I believe the they only make two scientific calculators and after I tried the 49, I returned it and got a 48GX. Maybe you can get a used one.

I moved from an 11C to a TI something-or-other and then back to HP when the 48 came out. My 48 started acting up so I bought a new one - an HP 48GX - love it.

Its got way more features than I'll ever use...but that's what turns us engineers on, right?

There's also a 49G out there but I think they discontinued it.

I think the 48GX has been replaced with the 48G2.

The later 48GX's that were made were not under as strict of quality control as the earlier 48GX's that were put out (so a guy at HP told me). I got a defective one last year and sent it back to HP, happened to another friend of mine also. I would try the new 48G2.

I have a HP32Sii and it is just starting to give up the ghost. Unfortunately HP stopped making them earlier this year. I need an RPN replacement, and I hear the new HP33S isn't much chop in comparison to the HP32Sii. Are there any good news stories about the HP33S out there?

Currently using 32S and have for past 10 years or more. I have 3 of them now, and one is about to go. I still have my 41CV and believe it or not, my original HP45 (purchased in 1975), though the batteries won't recharge for more than a few seconds.

The programs I used to run on my HP41CV I have largely ported to spreadsheets.

I, too, am stuck to the RPN logic. Casio tried one about 15 years ago, but it never caught on.

I really hate to see this era of calculators go away, though that is likely. I had my HP45 rebuilt by HP about 20 years ago. Not sure if they will still do that for calculators.

I use HP 41CV. It is over 20 years old. It is taped, bandaged and I was able to buy two other HP41CV to use as spare parts. To be honest, I do not think I can or I am willing to learn another calculator.

I love the reverse polish notation and it makes so much sense. When I retire, my HP will retire with me.

My two cents

Well, the trend seems to be driven by market forces. I've got two kids who went through Jr. High and Sr. High School and most of the classes involving math require calculators and most of these teachers have no clue on how to use RPN with HP's.

They usually have a list of graphing calculators that they "approve" and these are usually Texas Instruments, Sharp or Casio.

I got my son an HP 49G which allows switching between RPN and the traditional a + b = c method.

So all calculator companies are forced to consider the the major market is driven by multitudes of kids going through schools where the teachers can't handle RPN.

I have a 15C bought new in the mid 80's for my brother who was active duty U.S. Army, attending USMAPS, United States Military Academy Prep School. He decided after one year that he wasn't interested in that much math. The calculater has been in the drawer every since, I've used it about 3 or 4 times. Truly like new and now for sale.
Feel free to contact me.

regards,
John McCracken
1st Rate Fabricators

I don't totally buy the teachers don't teach RPN argument. My generation was raised without training on any kind of calculator. We formed the backbone of the HP market. If something is easier to use, engineers will learn how to use it.
I was a late convert, after going through numerous Casios, TIs, etc. It took me a couple of days of concentrating to teach myself how to use RPN and after that I couldn't use anything else.
JAE, I think your marketplace analogy is good in that engineers are just not that big of a market. Plus, with computers, there's less and less manual calculations being performed.

Have been using an HP 48G for about seven years, and am very happy with it. Only use a fraction of its features. I get mathematically dyslexic when trying to use my wifes Casio (non-rpn) calculator.

The schools are definitely a breeding ground for non-RPN neophytes who come out of it just not "feeling comfortable" with the RPN order of things. Similarly, many schools in my neck of the woods use Apple/Mac computers in their labs vs. PC's although that is slowly changing.

DaveAtkins,

You can still find a HP-15c calculator on eBay. At a price tough.

RPN or not, mathematics are universal and if you want something one step ahead, buy yourself a little Pocket PC (perhaps the same price than a new HP-15c) and install the software Pocket 15C Scientific Calculator by Lygea. Check it out on it's only $17.00!

That way you can have your old calculator back and all the benefits of a Pocket PC.

I have two cents worth of input here...

Back in the 801 I taught engineering courses at a community college. I was not impressed with the student’s high school training. They could not use a scientific calculator.

I spent three-class period and worked with them on how to use a scientific calculators.

I know things may have changes since then. I also acknowledge that the quality if students who attend community college is not the highest; but this argument is not always correct. Trust me on this one. I have seen some bright students go through the community college that I taught at.

You be the judge.

I've had an HP41CX for 20 years, and it is still working perfectly. I am hoping it can last until retirement for me, but if it doesn't, I have one more I bought that is in great used condition.

I have had an older HP repaired by an individual, and he did a good job. He has repaired other friends old calculators, also. In addition, he sells "new" and repaired calculators. His web site is...

good luck!

I like my TI-83. I've used TI-89 and -93 but they aren't necessary if you're not a student. I have plenty of graphing and programming power nad probably my fave is the equation solver. It even has a periodic table under the neato bells and whistles button.

Not much of a fan of reverse polock notation, :p

I just bought a hp 33s, I used the 48GX all through college and for the first couple of years in the buisness. I liked it a lot, but I cannot use it for the PE Exam. I think the 33s is the only RPN calculator you can use on the test is the HP 33s. It also converts to the normal calculator operation, so my wife can use it too, kind of convenient. It does enough for what I do, and it seems easier to program than the hp48gx.

akastud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back