Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculators!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshields

Structural
Jun 17, 2008
US
I just picked up an HP 35s, and I'm curious what kind of calculator's does everyone else use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK... My first programmable was the HP33E, then the HP41C, HP41CX, then the HP48GX, which I never used, but my son did.

Thank God for Reverse Polish!

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Hokie66

I must say that its been a long time since Ive seen a scientific canon calculator now that you mention it, plenty of canon desk calculators !

Ive had my canon for close to 20 years and its a work horse.

Would kind of miss it !

But I'll let you know if I replace it !

Thanks Jed

I see here in Australia the best price is about $105 (Aust)
about $84 US. Thanks for the link.

Reverse Polish Notation was invented by God because as we all know God was a Mathematician. I have an HP48SX, and 2 HP48GX's. I gave my brother my HP48G and he recently brought it to me to ask if I could fix it because it isn't working, I can't and he has been lost every since then... One would think "Hey, it's your brother, you should help him in his time of need..." Maybe for his birthday... I love to tell people that "This calculator has more memory than that of the Lunar Modual". I don't know if it's true but chicks really dig it...

Interesting to know that Carly Fiorina is largely responsible for destroying such a great calculator. I may have to write her a strongly worded letter.

Oh, and the best part of this was HP48GX #2, I found it in a pawn shop for $4.25, I'm not kidding... I still feel like I should turn myself into the police.

civeng80,

I'm going to look for a Canon, as YS says they are available in NZ. Otherwise, another Casio will have to do.

If you have been using the Canon for 20 years, there will be an adjustment period if you decide to go to the HP Reverse Polish style. I used them a long time ago, but wouldn't go back now.

Hokie66

Sounds abit like me. My very first calculator was a HP 25 using reverse polish notation and if my memory serves me the very first programmable calculator, this is way back in 1975 in my first year of engineering at the University of Melbourne. We eng students really treated our calculators as calculators back then.

Your right don't really know if I'd like to go back to reverse Polish notation.

Let me no if you find a canon by the way.

Cheers!

Casio CFX-9850G. I got it as a freebie 12+ years ago when I was in school and it's performed well since, even though it's seen plenty of abuse.

HP33s, I hated it for a while, but it carried me through the PE, I got a 35s and thought it was much cooler. But I find myself going back to the 33s for a few simple reasons:

-it has an x^2 button without shifting,the 35s has an 'i' button instead, who uses that outside physics or EE?

-the 33s buttons have a nice hard click every time you push them, the 35s is almost squishy like a TI :^(

The 35s is much better looking though

I have a HP 33s and the buttons around the "2" went goofy. I had a HP 32s, which I've used since 1990...but an exploded can of soda killed it. I just bought a $10 Casio. I have my ear out for a decent HP replacement though, and I've read some decent reviews in this post.

In college: HP 22s (stolen), 48SX, 48GX (still use it at home)
After college I bought the upgrades that came out but they were terrible (49G and 49G+), so I bought a 48G to use at work and keep another 48G as a spare.

That 48GX at home looks rough (beaten up in a booksack, then dropped from desks for years) but has never given a problem.

I recently converted a college intern that works for us to RPN. Once the light bulb went on, he said he'd never go back. He has a 50g that is quite nice and I'm actually considering one...

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

I see that the HP 35S is a programmable calculator. But does anyone here ever program their calculators these days? Spreadsheets and computers would be far easier right?

So wouldn't a cheaper scientific calculator like a sharp or casio about $30 be better value than a $110 HP 35S ?

What do you guys reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back