Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call light in cabin compartment. mandatory or optional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinessen

Aerospace
Nov 15, 2015
KR
I have a simple question about call light in cabin compartment.
Now, I am working at engineering department in airline and our company is planning to reconfig some aircraft under approval of local CAA.
This aircraft is transport category airplane and will have more than 300 passenger.
But we are experiencing difficulties on finding proper seat for this reconfiguration because existing seat has IFE system and this IFE system was linked to passenger service system (PSS) include call light, reading light.
I think reading light is certainly optional but I am not sure whether call light is mandatory or not by regulation.
I would like someone can advise me about this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think this falls into the engineering category; almost every plane in the world has both reading lights and call lights. To eliminate one or both would almost be certain to disincentivize any passenger from flying your airline ever again. It's one thing to not have something that no one ever had, but to remove something that everyone expects to have is asking for trouble.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

does the existing seat control these lights (as opposed to the overhead panel) ?

I assume you're doing an STC for this reconfig. Who's writing the cert plan ? This will address all necessary regulations.
Has your local CAA approved the cert plan ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Sorry for making confusion to all.
I believe attendant call light in FAA master MEL is about cabin crew to cockpit call light.
I am talking about passenger to cabin crew call light which is generally included in each passenger's PSU.
Due to various reason, we are not likely activate existing call light function.
We will do this modification under local CAA approval but it is very early stage of this program, so we just want to know whether it is possible or not.
Existing seat have IFE system and passenger call system is included in handset which is part of IFE system.
But we cannot activate IFE system due to lack of seat spare and only thing we have is non-IFE seats.
I would like to know simply whether passenger to cabin crew call system is mandatory or not by regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back