Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[CAM] Check stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggum

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2019
HU
Hi,
How do You protect the vise or any other fixture? It is common, that we machine right above the jaws, with ie. 0.2mm clearance, because the minimum Z is easily be compared on the machine, but the X position of the part is not so exact, so it would be better some bigger safety distance ie. 5mm.
So how should I set the check stock?
If I use the vise model on a drawing, then I cannot add these offsets to it (because the dimension values will be false). If I add some envelope body to substitute that in my cam workpiece, it is hard to see which model is which..
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would specify vises and fixtures as check bodies in the workpiece and then use check stock in your operations. If you need different clearance amounts for top and sides of a vise you can specify .2mm of check stock in the operations then go to the vise model and use the Move Face command in Synchronous Modeling to make the vise wider.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1899
EVP's

Thanks,
Yes, this was my thought, but in this case the dimensions on the setup plan will be false. It can cause collisions.
In powermill there was no fixture object at all, but I had a possibility to create a surface, covering the vise, and I can remove it after toolpath calculation. I am thinking about some similar thing, creating a planar surface or a block, but I will have to store it on a different layer or something like that..
And when I have many setups in my prt, I fear that I will loose control on them..

If changing the width of the vise is not acceptable then there is another option. When you do your setup in NX you can add more vise side stock with the addition of a solid which cover the vise body, the same way you did it in powermill with surfaces. Try to use solids rather than surfaces; you will have more modeling flexibility. Yes, simply put it on another layer. Try not to overthink this, NX is very flexible! Usually you will have many options to get the job done.

Here is an important step: when you perform your setup in NX, be sure to specify the location of the location of the part in the vise and include a tolerance for that location. (4-5mm, perhaps? Pick an amount that is less than the check stock amount in your operations) and make sure the operator follows the setup instructions!. This last step is vital to have manufacturing processes run smoothly. Operators must follow the setup; this is not an option, it is mandatory.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1899
EVP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back