Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cambering steel beams 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oussama213

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2024
DZ
I have a problem, I want to add a 2 centimeters camber to a 16 meters long IPE O 600 steel profile ( a beam ), but I don't have the bending machine to do that. we did not ask the manufacturer to do it because the shipping is coming from overseas in containers on ships and this profile ( the IPE O 600 ) is heavy enough to delete the camber while being shipped. we want to do it on site, and the machine for that is not available. Solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What have you tried or considered as options so far? I suggested to use a hammer to deflect the member because you've provided essentially no information.

Pretty sure this is the first time I've seen anyone from Algeria posting on the forum - welcome!

As SnTMan mentioned, sending it out to another shop could be an option, or are you saying there are no bending machines available in the area?

Short of that, not much we can suggest without more information. What size, what length, etc. 2cm (a little less than an inch), is going to be quite a bit for a short beam, but might be close to mill tolerance for straightness for a very long beam.

Shapes can also be bent or straightened by the applkication of flame heating. By those who know what they are doing :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Nice link. On a brief search I didn't find anything I thought useful.

Yeah, I have been surprised in the past with how little information I was able to find on the subject. That article is probably the most informative single thing I have found.

Please re-read the post beacause i edited it for more accurate informations,

hi everyone for those asking about the steel section its the IPE O 600 as mentioned in the post, basically its a 16 meters long IPE O 600 steel profile ( a beam ) that we want to create in a 2 centimeters camber and the machine to bend such a profile ( the IPE O 600 ) is not available in the area. any ideas ?

If you don't have a machine to cold bend it, I would recommend heat bending - there is an article that covers this linked above.
2cm of camber seems really small for a 16m beam.

IPE_O_600_Dims_rejmos.png

hi, is it difficult to heat bend ? what are the risks ? is there any other solutions i can consider beside the heat bending ? much appreciated.

The most difficult part is getting the camber that you want. First try might only get 1CM, second try might get 4cm. It is often described as an art, not a science.

The biggest thing is just making sure you don't over heat the steel, make sure it stays below 1100°F. Going above 1100° can/will change the properties of the steel. You would probably start with heating in 3 locations along the length of the beam (middle and quarter points. Want more camber, then heat more points). You heat the side that you ultimately want to shrink (it first expands with the addition of the heat but then shrinks past the starting point when it cools.

In the sketch below, the three red spots represent the heating location/pattern that could be used to create an upwards camber.

Camber_icwype.png

Here are some videos of it being done:

oussama213 said:
and this profile ( the IPE O 600 ) is heavy enough to delete the camber while being shipped

I'm having a little trouble following this. From the beam self weight? If so, is the camber of any use?

SnTMan said:
I'm having a little trouble following this. From the beam self weight? If so, is the camber of any use?

it is, camber preventing the beam from going down more further than the initional position, however, stocking beams in a containter and sending it overseas might delete the camber. the beam is supposed to support a parking lot floors and not ten times its weight while being shipped.

I would not expect any change in camber during shipping unless it is somehow being loaded past it's yield strength.

In the US, the natural camber of a beam from the mill is allowed to be up to 1.67cm for a 16m beam. If you are expecting it to be perfectly straight when you get it you may be surprised when it isn't.

how so you think its possible to go past the beams yield strength ? is it something that can occur ? just want to know in case i want to prevent it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back