Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camera for structural inspections 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshakelake

Structural
Jul 15, 2013
US
Anyone have a good solution for taking photos of structures? Problem: My iPhone takes the best pictures, especially in dark places. It doesn't look very professional to clients, though.

I've tried using Fuji X-E1 ISO 3200 F2.8 with shutter 1/125s, but the photos come out grainy and sometimes blurred because of the large aperture. I usually take a shot where my flashlight is pointed. I've also tried Sony RX Vii (more portable for tight crawl spaces and getting behind sheetrock) but have similar results. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, because my iPhone simply takes clearer and more focused pictures. It has a mode where I hold up the camera for a few seconds in dark spaces and the results are usually good.

The other thing I was thinking about was using flash, but it would hurt the portability of the Fuji X-E1. And my poor Sony RX Vii can't keep up with recharging its flash with how many pictures I take, like 200 or so per building. It's not about the batteries, because I carry spares; it's about the time between shots.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The dark lighting setting on my pixel phone, "night sight", has been incredibly useful for attics, basements, and other dark spaces. Optics be damned, the functionality of taking pictures on my phone is incomparable. Also, my google photos upgrade for more storage costs me something like $30 a year. That's almost the cost of one lunch these days.

Honestly, I could care less about the optics of anything. My 3 season "uniform" is faded Carhartt shorts, 5 YO Blundstones and a T shirt with company logo. I actually think customers appreciate the look as they feel like I am a nuts and bolts person ready to get dirty. If they don't like, I am happy to move on. Never had an issue though.

3DDave said:
The cell phone makers have far more to spend, particularly on software

Yeah that’s where I really feel my DSLR lagging. The iPhones computational photography is so advanced in comparison. It’s easier to take acceptable quality low-light or high-dynamic range shots with the iPhone than the DSLR, despite the vastly inferior lenses and sensors.

@TLHS: the lidar is actually pretty handy for tenant work and mapping obstructions in 3D where the resolution limits don’t come into play.

@3DDave I don't think that would work for my style of photography. It's all about moving around and getting a lot of different shots at different angles, which ruled out using a tripod, though I do have one. I did consider having a camera mounted flash. I can tolerate shadows for documentation purposes.

XR250 said:
Honestly, I could care less about the optics of anything

I think we differ in that regard. I'm pretty sure psychologists have a consensus that appearance and presentation matter in business. You're doing good marketing with the down and dirty look, whether it's intentional or not. I think I spent at least an engineer's year's salary making my office high end just because of optics. I do care about it, but in this case, the quality and convenience of the phone is the controlling load combination.

Actually, I have switched to Redbacks. Actually still made in Aus. and hold up better. Blundstones are now made in Vietnam, I believe.

milkshakelake said:
I think I spent at least an engineer's year's salary making my office high end just because of optics. I do care about it, but in this case, the quality and convenience of the phone is the controlling load combination.

We are clearly catering to different cliental!

XR250 said:
Actually, I have switched to Redbacks. Actually still made in Aus. and hold up better. Blundstones are now made in Vietnam, I believe.

My last pair of AU boots were Redbacks - back in 2014 - got about 1 year out of them which is pretty good after you walk over rebar, trenches, hydraulic oil etc.

Shame that Blundstones are no longer AU.

I am currently in REDWING 9" LOGGER MAX (these are one heavy pair of boots!).

3D Lidar on phones would be wonderful, specially if you could output sufficient data in a 3D point cloud...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I use a Panasonic DMC-zs100 but I miss my canon elph that died a year and a half ago. It was smaller.

I use my phone as a backup but the camera has a better zoom that I can operate with one hand. I like the strap on my wrist when i have to hold the camera off the edge of the scaffold or out the window. I also prefer the SD card transfer to emailing photos to myself.

Thanks Celt... does it do a 3D or 2D point cloud? I've heard the latter. A proper Lidar output could be really helpful in some cases.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

It can do a full 3D (x,y,z) point cloud now so no need for the extra processing I mentioned in that post anymore just export from the app and open in ReCAP.

Accuracy is nothing the write home about but large items like walls, HVAC ducts, etc. get picked up to within about a 1/2" to an 1", so works well for massing obstructions.

Really - your $1200 phone doesn't look professional?
That's all I ever see anyone using unless they need an optical zoom that a phone camera just can't match.

I've seen a few house inspections done and they have an app they use that has a prebuilt report template and they just move through th house and take pictures and add notes as required so their report is complete when they finish inspecting.

Just tell them it's a 21st century Swiss Army Knife. Not only does it take pictures, it lets you save, edit and distribute them. It has a flash light, it lets you play games when you get stuck in a crawl space that is just too tight, you can even call for help with it when you get bit by a black widow or something.

Thanks, Celt...

-----*****-----

-Dik

I have a colleague that works with inspections. As far as I know he uses small highres digital cameras, still and video. They are sometimes mounted on his helmet, his inspections often includes climbing on a structure.

Personally, I have had photography as a hobby since before both phones and DSLR's. And I think one important question regarding cameras is if you are interested in photography or not?

Handheld computers, many of us refer to them as "phones" [smile], take excellent pictures. Especially for people who just want to point the camera at something and get a picture. But if you are interested in photography and make the effort to learn the functionality of a "better" camera. You may get both better pictures and some fun [smile].

I can say that I use both an iphone and a Nikon DSLR. But I only use one of them for photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back