Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

camshaft turbo and non turbo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

captviv

Marine/Ocean
Nov 13, 2006
US
hi , i have 2x navistar/international 1993 , 7,3 litre 444 cubic inch turbo diesel engines in my boat . would like to know if it is possible to use a non turbo camshaft from the same size motor and use it in my turbo motor ? if yes , would i be loosing any horsepower ? thank you
viv

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DonReplika,

About my previous statement. The engines I talk about always run at the same RPM, Unloaded or fully loaded, the RPM remains the same.

When you alter the rpm of the engine evenly with the load, it can change everything. I don't know for sure.

'still not sure if merely bolting on my turbo to the "new" engine will give me same performance as my existing motor in boat .... whats your thoughts ?'

looking for trouble. Your compression ratio will surely be different and pumping the inlet with a turbo will quickly destroy your bus engine. Loosing your marine block along with cam surely implies further component loss. You may want to implant your normally aspirated buss engine until you come across a wrecker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back