Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can anybody highlight on dimensions of dishedend as per admerkblatter? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ketanrshah

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2001
IN
Normally I am connected with inspection &review of design as per ASME code .Recently I am doing design review of pressure vessel as per AD merkblatter where certain formula is given for finding out crown radius & knuckle radius of dished ends.If manufacturer wants to deviate from dimensions achieved as per above (i.e. mfr wants to adopt dimensions as achieved in as per ASME) Shall I accept above dimensions ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion no.
If a vessel is to be in accordance with ADMkBl, it has to be fully compliant with it.
Otherwise, to give an example, how will you check for heat treatment requirements or for skirt length?
prex
motori@xcalcsREMOVE.com
Online tools for structural design

Designs per the AD-Merkblätter require the use of DIN materials. DIN materials may have different mechanical properties than ASME materials. Even when a DIN material is determined to be “equivalent” to an ASME material, one must be careful in its application. For example, the requirements for MDMT as defined in AD-Merkblatt W 10 are not the same as ASME. This is one reason why you should not mix the two Codes in your design.

If your vessel is installed in Germany, your local TÜV will be involved in the approval of the vessel. Having worked with TÜV in the past, I am confident that TÜV will not allow this deviation.

AD-Merblatt B 3, Domed Ends Subject to Internal or External Pressure, and B 4, Dished Heads, contain very straight forward design information. I don’t think that there is anything in these two sections that deviate significantly from Section VIII, Div. 1.

K. Phan

With some experience in using both ASME and AD Merkblatter codes, i observed that for a dome type cover the shell thickness required in AD Merkblatter is considerably more than that as per ASME. One reason for this could be due to the difference in safety factors recommended in the two codes. While ASME provides allowables stresses at different temperatures, AD Merkblatter considers creep rupture properties at some temperatures. Hence, it would not be appropriate to conclude that a vessel designed to ASME code will meet AD Merkblatter requirements or vice-versa, since the approaches differ.The only alternative seems to establish the equivalent DIN material and apply its properties in the AD Merkblatter calculation in its own approach per-se and prove that the design meets the code requirements.

You no longer have to satisfy AD Merkblatter to get a pressure vessel or any other pressure equipment into Germany. All European states must by law accept any pressure equipment that satisfies the European Pressure Equipment Directive. The vessel can be made TO ASME but must satisfy the rules of this directive.

See for the latest information on this directive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back