Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can FCF be attached to the extension line of a cylindrical feature of size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diametrix

Aerospace
Jan 31, 2023
US
According to the standard this is a legal method of attaching FCF: 3.5 (d) "attaching a side, corner, or an end of the frame to an extension of the dimension line pertaining to a feature
of size" However, it just looks really weird to me.

FCF_Side_line_ahysqg.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which version of which standard?

For a long time it was allowed. Later versions require the leader decoration to visually separate the requirement from the related surface.

Lowell W. Foster used the directly attached FCF in his early instructional material.

It may look weird if not accustomed to it, but the plunger was just as weird when it was introduced.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

"attaching a side, corner, or an end of the frame to an extension of the dimension line pertaining to a feature of size" is not what you showed in your image.

Burunduk said:
extension of the dimension line

So if "extension of the dimension line" is not referring to a dimension extension line but rather to a "continuation" of the dimension line then such attachment of the FCF is not per standard. BTW I was looking at 2009 standard.

Hi All,

I'm not a drafting expert, so I'm not sure if I've got the terminology correct here. Can someone confirm whether or not the following statements are correct:

1. The horizontal line with the double-ended arrow is a dimension line.

2. The vertical lines are extension lines.

If these are correct, then the line that the FCF is attached to is not an extension of the dimension line pertaining to a feature of size.

Evan Janeshewski

Axymetrix Quality Engineering Inc.

Evan, those terms are correct. So an "extension line" is not synonymous with an "extension of a dimension line."

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Diametrix said:
So if "extension of the dimension line" is not referring to a dimension extension line but rather to a "continuation" of the dimension line then such attachment of the FCF is not per standard.

That is correct.
However if it was a width rather than diameter, your callout would mean that the perpendicularity tolerance is applied only to the left side planar surface (and not to the feature of size).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back